transplant problem

Old 06-17-02, 04:49 PM
growmore
Visiting Guest
transplant problem

had to transplant plants due to over fertilization, read label wrong, (duh)..transplanted flowers into new soil and had some roots break when removing them from old soil, some are wilting now, can I do anything or will they just come back on their own?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-02, 05:50 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Growmore,

Sorry, but now it's a waiting game. Hopefully, you haven't damaged them. You can't replace the roots, but depending on what kind of plants they are, you could remove some of the top growth to compensate for the root loss.

What plants? Keep them watered also.

Gami

Old 06-18-02, 01:19 PM
Gami is correct. You need to cut back some of the top growth as the current root system won't support it. Keep it well watered until it responds.

Newt

Old 06-18-02, 01:40 PM
How about applying some B-1 or Super Thrive? Would this help the plants "heal" themselves?

Old 06-18-02, 01:45 PM
They would help if they ONLY stimulate root growth.

Newt

Old 06-18-02, 02:30 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
It's not a good idea to fertilize ANY plants under stress for any reason. Fertilizers encourage new growth, and it's not healthy enough to do that and try and get well at the same time.

As Newt says, fertilizers that only encourage root growth are a good thing. There's one called just that--root stimulator and seaweed fertilizer is also a good one. There are some others. I like to use a root stimulator when I initially plant flowers in the ground or pots. Since seaweed fertilizer is organic, I use that.

Gami

Old 06-18-02, 02:41 PM
I'm not the gardener, my wife is. I just know she uses B-1 which is a vitamin (not ferterizer) and a product called Super-Thrive (from Wally World), when ever she transplants.

Old 06-18-02, 07:57 PM
growmore
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up overfertilization problem

Today most have recoverd, I got some info from a gardening store, it was suggested that I try some coffee,( caffine,apartly the helper) and liquid seaweed folier feed as she said that since they were overfertized they would not be able to draw food from their roots. Seemed to revive them almost immediately, and the ones that were really wilted recovered later. Have some leave damage, but my flowers are now fine. Thanks for all the help everyone: Will see if I can help others with what I have learned.

Old 06-18-02, 10:03 PM
Thanks for letting us know. Glad to see things are working out for you!

Newt

Old 07-02-02, 03:24 PM
medoit
Visiting Guest
COFFEE

I agree that coffee is good for a lot of plants (even used coffee grounds). And used coffee filters are great for linning the bottom of your pots to keep the dirt from going out the holes. But be very careful with the coffee, it is high in ACID. Some plants thrive in high acid soil, but others do not.

Old 07-03-02, 08:10 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Medoit,

I tried the coffee filters this year for liners in pots. I've already had to transplant several into bigger pots, and the filter has already dissolved. I think the fiberglass screening is the BEST. I've used the same screening for several years and leave it in the bottom of the pot when I store them.

Gami