Petunia Attacker

Old 06-19-02, 05:46 PM
joschwartz
Visiting Guest
Angry Petunia Attacker

Every year I plant petunias and every year I have the same problem. Something eats the edges of the blossoms. Now before you all tell me it's slugs, it ain't! I've had them before, know the signs, and they were more interested in my bird seed on the deck than anything else. Haven't seen any sign of them for a couple of years.

This year's crop of petunias are planted in wall mounted containers on my deck which would be a good climb for a slug and would leave a trail. Even more significant, one batch is in a window box attached to the railing next to my front steps. Since I live in the city and have no front yard,just cement pavement, there is no soil from which slugs could come up from in the front and there is no evidence in either place of slime. I haven't seen a worm, insect, trail or anything, just chewed up edges of my blossoms in both planters. Got any ideas? Can I spray them with anything that is general purpose? Someone suggested pouring coffee in to the soil.

jo

Old 06-19-02, 09:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello jo

Might be earwigs - they are nocturnal feeders, so you wouldn't know you have them except for the damage or if you happen out at night with a flashlight.

Here's a link about them:

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il...ts/earwig.html

If you find that's what is eating your plants, there are commercial Earwig baits that are quite effective (keep it away from children and pets, though) or you could try Diatomaceous Earth (you'll have to re-apply after each rainfall).

Hope this helps

Howie

Old 06-20-02, 07:00 AM
joschwartz
Visiting Guest
I looked at night with a flashlight and only could see a microscopic little crawly thing on one blossom. From the description of earwigs, they are at least 1/2 " long, so it doesn't seem to match. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll continue to do a midnight sweep for a while.

jo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: