watering

Old 06-20-02, 09:34 AM
watering

I have an outdoor garden with tomato plants and beans, somebody told me you should not water them in the middle of the day with the sun out,is this true?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-02, 12:30 PM
romod,

That theory is basically correct. The droplets on the leaves, along with the noon day sun, can burn the leaves.

It is best to water in the early morning hours. Watering, lets clarify, by saying sprinkling in the evening can spread diseases.
Watering direct to the base of the plant is okay in the evening.
I hope this helps,
fred

Old 06-27-02, 07:17 AM
Fewalt, what type of diseases are you talking about? As a standard procedure I usually moist the leaves in the evening (using a spray gun) because the heat in our country is very high and the air is very dry. Is this wrong?

Old 06-27-02, 07:41 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Robert,

Sorry Fred, but I'm going to jump in here and give my 2 cents since this topic has come up quite frequently lately.

Fred's advice is the recommended way to water by practically everyone.

It's been my experience that watering whenever you have time also works. Lately, it has been very hot and dry here. I have little plants I need to water, so I've been watering them in the hot afternoon since it's too hot to do anything real strenuous. I use a watering wand and dowse the whole plant. No burn and the plants are thriving. I've also watered recently by full moon and dowsed all the plants. No problems with my plants, but I'm talking strictly flowers. It's best not to water in the afternoon because the hot weather will quickly dry out the soil. You might say it's a waste of water, but if plants need it, and that's the only time you have--you are at least saving your plants. Plants take nutrients and moisture in through their leaves. I don't water foliage of diseased plants--such as rust on hollyhocks, etc.

I think the advice to water in the morning and evening, and just the soil, basically applies to vegetables, and primarily tomatoes. Tomatoes are susceptible to a lot of viruses, and the way you water them can cause those problems. I always water just the soil around tomatoes, but all my other veggies get a blast on the plants also.

I heard an old-timer once talking about watering, and the fact that watering in the afternoon can burn your plants. He said, "God makes it rain in the hot afternoons and then (sometimes) sends the sun out immediately to make your plants grow. Would God want your plants to burn?" Since then, I water whenever I want.

I'm not saying do this, I'm just saying it works for me.

Any other comments?

Gami

Old 06-27-02, 07:46 AM
r_abela,

Fungal disease can more easily spread from the ground up the plant when it is moist and dark. Waterng/moistening the leaves is actually unnecessary. I have a number of tomato plants in pots on my deck. They sometime require water daily as the plants may start to wilt. An hour after watering the pot the plants perk back up, so there is really no need to water the foliage. One of the best things to do to maintan mosture for tomato plants is to mulch them.

fred

Old 06-27-02, 07:54 AM
Hi Gami,

I was keying as you posted! I guess we have nothing better to do. (I'm not on the links today).

I think I'll have to agree with your 'oldtimer' theory, but I wouldn't water at noon everyday. Like you mentioned, too much of the valuable water evaporates to quickly. (Gosh - we got 1 inch of rain yesteday).

fred

Old 06-27-02, 08:10 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

I'm not sure how much rain we got, but I sat on the back porch and watched every drop fall. I was wondering if you got rain as you'd mentioned how dry it was there. The ground was starting to crack here. I walked around to see how happy it made my plants. The corn must have loved it. It's FINALLY up 1". (My 2nd planting.) I planted a 63 day variety. Now I can start counting down the days.

I don't water EVERYDAY during the heat of the day. It depends on what I have going on that day. Lately, we've had ballgames at night, so that's been the only time to water.

No rain in the next 5-day forecast.

Gami