small hill fix?

Old 06-20-02, 10:14 AM
troyandmarsha
Visiting Guest
small hill fix?

i had a hill scraped off and all of the scrub and weeds were removed, i'm down to mostly dirt now. the winter weather has begun to erode it, any low cost / low maintenance recommendations to prevent the erosion?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-02, 06:34 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
I assume it is snow that is melting and eroding it? I'm not from up North, but we have a hill in our backyard and pinestraw keeps it from eroding.

Old 06-20-02, 07:04 PM
Hello Troy

It doesn't really sound like you want to use turf (get the impression you don't want to be cutting it...)

There are plants that will knit together and prevent erosion, but they can get a bit expensive at the outset or become overgrown and unwieldy.

How big is this area and what are your expected use(s) for it?

Post back and maybe someone can give you some ideas...

Howie

Old 06-21-02, 05:32 AM
troyandmarsha
Visiting Guest
as little maintenance as possible

the hill in question is about 3 feet high and about 15 feet long. i don't want to mow it. could i lay down a layer of landscape material, poke holes in it and plant some kind of flowering plant that would be durable and hold the ground.

i would like to avoid the expense of building a retaining wall, but guess i would do that to avoid absolute deterioration.

Old 06-21-02, 05:45 AM
Hi again

Landscape fabric might work, but can be a bit ugly to look at - Any mulch that you put over the fabric to hide it will undoubtedly move as it won't find anywhere to anchor to. Also, any plants that spread by underground rhisomes and roots would be stabilizing the soil, but couldn't grow upwards thru the fabric...

Goutweed (Aegopodium sp.) will spread fast and not grow over about a foot high, but is very invasive, so may cause you more grief down the road if not contained. That's the problem with a lot of the soil stabilizing plants...

I'm going to move this thread over to the Garden forum - there are a lot of good people over there (here, now ) who should have some ideas about plants that will stabilize your slope and meet your maintenance criteria...

Good Luck

Howie

Old 06-24-02, 07:43 AM
groundcover to stabilize hill

I wouldn't suggest something like goutweed as it is awful to get rid of once it spreads and spread it will. It also isn't evergreen, which is something you should probably consider for winter interest. I also wouldn't suggest using landscape fabric to hold the hill. As Howiek pointed out, the mulch would just run off during a heavy rain and it would look awful. If you build a retaining wall, you could use that behind the wall to keep the soil from washing through the stones.

Is your hill in sun, shade or part shade? It would help to know. Also, you should know your zone so you can pick plants that would be hardy in your zone. Here's a zip code zone finder.

http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

Cotoneaster dammeri 'radicans' would work in full sun to part shade and isn't invasive. It roots along the stems but is easy to control.

http://www.hortpix.com/pc1276.htm

Also, things like creeping thyme. Here's a site that has all kinds of groundcovers that might be appropriate.

http://www.stepables.com/

You can research any that you find interesting at www.google.com by putting the name (preferably the Latin one) in quotes like this "Cotoneaster dammeri radicans". You can also click on 'Images' and often get pictures as well. Do research any groundcover that you might want to make sure it won't be an invasive pest in either the environment (the birds eat the berries and spread them) or for you to maintain. Ajuga is one that creeps along but is difficult to keep in bounds as it creeps into the lawn and can be a maintenance hassle.

Hope this helped. Any more questions, just let us know.

Newt