skeletonization...help?

Old 06-26-02, 06:15 PM
rohondo1
Visiting Guest
Question skeletonization...help?

my tree leaves are being stripped (skeletonized) by something...is there a systemic treatment i can use to deter the loss of foliage?...or should i jsut hang in there til there aren't any leaves left...i'm in san diego...thanks for any insight info...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-02, 08:00 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loss of foliage between seasons something is normal as long they are replaced with new ones.

Old 06-27-02, 08:52 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Rohondo,

First try and find out what's eating your leaves. We had that happen two years in a row and it was army worms. We sprayed with an Ortho product from Walmart that was good for army worms. It killed them instantly. It's obviously some kind of worm. I'd act quickly. In our case, they were so thick, we could see them crawling on the grass to the trees.

We were told that it wouldn't kill the trees, but we still wanted shade.

Gami

Old 07-01-02, 11:05 PM
RennaBelle
Visiting Guest
Try checking for earwigs, here in oregon they are doing that kinda damage to whole plants Several master gardeners have been complaining about the same symptoms and have found earwigs doing the damage.

My petunias have been suffering badly because of damage done by earwigs. Under the while ones it looks like it had been snowing as they have chewed them up.

Old 07-02-02, 01:45 AM
N
You might want to contact your local extension service and see if they can tell you what may be happening in your local area. You can find it here.

http://ceinfo.unh.edu/state_sites.html

If you do have earwigs, here's environmentally friendly ways to deal with them.

For earwigs : Diatomaceous Earth, Orange Guard, Rotenone/Pyrethrum Spray OR...

Earwigs in general can be considered an ally in the garden as they will eat aphids and other pests at night as they are nocturnal. One truly good function of the insect is they eat the eggs of the codling moth which is a serious problem with apple trees. When you have an over population of earwigs they can become a nuisance and generally feed on your marigolds and they really go for clematis vines, dahlias, delphiniums, pansies and chrysanthemums. They cause the most trouble June through October.

One possible control in dealing with earwigs is to mix insecticide soap with isopropyl alcohol and spray the infested area every two to three days for two weeks. To make this spray add 1 tablespoon of the alcohol to each quart of insecticide soap.
Another method is to trap earwigs in pieces of old hose or rolled up newspapers. Check these during day and shake the insects into a bucket of soapy water.
A very successful method to get rid of earwigs is to take a shallow, straight-sided container and fill it half full with vegetable oil. Clean out the bodies every day and you may reuse the oil as often as you like.
This works particularly well in a greenhouse situation.

If you would like more environmentally friendly ways to deal with your pest, let me know and I'll try and help.

Good luck,
Newt

Old 07-11-02, 07:32 PM
The true Glutton

I don't watch much TV but the other night a show was on. Some of my customers who had seen it called & said I should see it. It was all about Glutons of the animal world.

The biggest Gluton was the catapilar & from what you describe that is what is eating your tree. It is the number 1 pest of all the fruit & vegetables we grow. A catapilar in every color for every plant & it's fruit even red ones for Red Raspberries.

There is a natrual insesticide called Thuricide sold as Dipel 2X at least this is the one for profesional growers that you would need for this kind of outbreak. If you call around you will find a farm supply store who has a sticker for mixing with your sprays called Nu-Film 17.

Nu-Film when used with Dipel will become 100% more effective. 100% is a big claim, however for the past 6 years we have used this advice & it has worked much better & longer than ever before.

Do you see catapilars moving up and down the tree? Any mass of webs like a nest? I would think that with this big of an out break, you would see a lot of small catapilar dung under the tree.

As a rule of thumb if the whole leaf is not eaten, like the ribs it = Worm/Catapilar & semicircular bites where the entire leaf is consumed it might be beetles. There are many exceptions to this though like the Flea beetle.

Marturo