No flowers on bushes

Old 07-09-02, 06:15 AM
Chola
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No flowers on bushes

I have 2 sno-ball bushes and 1 honeysuckle bush that I have had growing for 6 years now and they have never ever had flowers. The bushes are very healthy and keep growing every year. What might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-02, 03:42 PM
Unhappy No flowers yet?

Hi Chola,

Could you tell us when and what you use to feed them with? It sure seems you should have flowers by now. Let's look at where are they planted & how much sun do they get first.

Marturo

Old 07-11-02, 06:19 PM
Are you pruning these shubs? If so, you may be pruning off the new flower buds.

Newt

Old 07-12-02, 05:01 AM
Chola
Visiting Guest
NO FLOWERS ON BUSHES

Thank you for answering. To begin with, I live in a mobile home which faces south and the bushes are exposed to the sun from sunup to sundown. They are huge. In the spring I feed them with Schultz's flower promoter (which doesn't seem to help) and during the summer I feed them with Miracle-Gro off and on. They are very healthy but no flowers. I cut them back maybe every couple of years in the fall because they take over what little yard I have. I'm thinking maybe my soil is out of whack. Maybe too much acidity or not enough acidity. I have no trouble growing any type of outdoor flower and I have 2 honeysuckle vines and 2 trumpet vines (for the hummers) hanging off my patio awning stancions which bloom profusely all season well into the fall. I'd give anything to see those sno-balls covered with sno-balls.
C

Old 07-12-02, 07:19 AM
No flowers

Hi Chola,

It seems as though you have the perfect place to grow. They are 6 years old and you have pruned them 3 times. Now I would like to hear what Newt thinks as he mentioned that you could be pruning the new years flower production off.

I use granulated Kelp in the soil to ensure that I do not have a micronutrient deficiency. You can also use an early morning foliar feeding with liquid Kelp to help correct any problems of that type.

Somehow I don't think this is the problem. I am going to look at a possable Male/Female plant connection.

There are very inexpensive PH checkers that work by inserting a probe into the soil & give good readings on your soils PH it's allways good to know.

Marturo

Old 07-12-02, 07:30 AM
Chola
Visiting Guest
Marturo,
I'll see if I can find some of the kelp nutrients you've mentioned. The local nursery has so many different soil conditioners that you get dizzy trying to find one. I'll also see if I can find the probes you mentioned. I haven't seen anything like that yet. Thank you.
C

Old 07-12-02, 08:57 AM
Wellllll, I think there are a couple of things going on here. The first is that you say that you prune them in the fall. Since they are a spring blooming shrub (both the honeysuckle and the snowball), they should be pruned after blooming in the spring. I realize that they aren't blooming for you, but by pruning in the fall, you are pruning off the following springs blooms. Prune in late spring (beginning of June). If you find that isn't possible, then prune to the ground and let it resprout. Give it a couple of years to see if that will promote bloom.

I also think you are fertilizing too much (both), causing lots of stem growth and no blooms. Stop the Miricle Gro. You could use the kelp or top dress with compost. Most people that seem to have success with these tend to neglect them. Watering is also an issue with snowballs. Too much or too little can affect the flowering of the snowball.

I would suggest you treat the bush honeysuckle the same way and stop fertilizing.

I don't think you need to invest in a ph checker, as these shrubs will grow in either alkaline or acid soil.

Here's a link I think you'll find interesting.
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg163.htm

Good luck,
Newt

Old 07-12-02, 10:06 AM
Chola
Visiting Guest
NO FLOWERS ON BUSHES

Newt,
Thank you for the input. Please understand that these 2 sno-balls have only been trimmed back twice. I wouldn't even say they were "pruned". I just trim the very ends off the limbs to regain some of my yard. One of them is probably 12' tall and at least that wide and the other is just a little smaller. The honeysuckle bush has never been trimmed. It gets these big clusters of leaves all over it but no flowers. If I prune these guys back to the ground I'll need a large chainsaw.
Thanks again.
C

Old 07-12-02, 11:13 AM
Smile Too much Nitrogen ?

Hi Chola,

Let me start by saying that I agree 100% with Newt. The size you describe has me thinking of Nitrogen. You see all the wild plants & trees are only geting what they are fed by Nature. Yet look at them grow

On our farm we never use Food that exceeds 5% Nitrogen. Yet with the higher levels of Phosphorus & Potash our plants are healthy & covered with Flowers, Fruits & Vegetables.

I have no idea where we Gardeners got the Idea that we needed 20-20-20 or even 10-10-10. I have seen a trend at the big discount stores to carry a 5-10-15 vegetable garden fertilizer. If you don't mind the Salt build up over time, then this is the highest amount of Nitrogen your plant could ever need.

We use Beefalo Manure as a base for our compost. Seaweed meal (Kelp) Green Sand, Gypsum, Limestone dust, etc.
all in all I dont think that any of our plants, Trees, & Briers are hurting for food.

I know you would like to see your plants flower, so how about just for the rest of this season, you just water them? Let the soil clean it's self and at least try to trim back as much as you can in this early winters pruning.

Best of luck to you Chola
Let us know how they do please.

Marturo