pine tree pruning?????

Old 07-14-02, 06:41 AM
Question pine tree pruning?????

My parents have a large pine tree they would like to remove a couple of low limbs from(about 4" in diameter). Is now a good time to remove the limbs or, should they wait. Northeastern Oklahoma is where they live, if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-02, 08:52 AM
Cool

They can cut them off now if they want, but they will probably have a little pine sap running down the tree.
It's best to prune in the winter.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 07-15-02, 08:54 PM
I agree with Old Guy on the time to prune. Just in case you need the info, here's a site that shows how to do it.

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/B961-W.HTML#Technique

Newt

Old 07-30-02, 05:43 PM
skw655
Visiting Guest
It's probably too late, but I thought I should mention this for any others. You should always try to leave the lower limbs on spruce trees. They will be healthier if you leave them on (not to mention they look better). Also, if you are planning to plant plants under the tree, use drought tolerant plants and don't add any soil. You will notice that the roots of the tree are exposed - this is because they need to be exposed to the atmosphere to obtain oxygen. If you are going to start digging for plants, you will notice 4 or 5 roots extending radially from the trunk. These are the anchors for the tree - DO NOT CUT THROUGH THEM!!! There will be several other feeders (small roots) in the soil, but you don't have to worry about these. Just don't cut through the anchors - it weakens the structural integrity of your tree and it might fall over. Plant plants like lily of the valley, lamium, etc. you could also mulch with shredded bark or some stones, small and large. Consider using pots closer to the trunk on top of the mulch with the plantings further to the outside where they will get more sun. Hope this helps! Let us know what you do