cutting a tree

Old 07-14-02, 10:19 AM
nvsmom
Visiting Guest
cutting a tree

I have an umbrella tree in my house. It's growing very nicely, too nicely. My ceilings are about 8 feet and my tree is about 10 feet. It is whorling around in a circle. I saw on a day show (HOme Matters or Lynette Jennings) this man cut a tree off, because it had grown to large for the house and then transplanted the top into soil. It's suppose to grow but I never watched the whole show. I would like to do the same for my tree. I would hate to just cut it off and waste the top. Anyone out there know anything about this. I really would like to keep all of my plant. Thanx everyone! Tina

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-02, 12:35 PM
A house tree.

Hi nvsmom,

No one can say you don't have a green thumb . I found this link for you about the Umbrella Tree. It seems you have reached that 10 foot indoor limit. I hope

Are you aware of Air layering a plant? If not I can find and point you in the right direction to the procedure. The only problem with taking the top out of any plant, is it causes the plant to grow wide instead. In this case that may be good.

Since growing tropicals indoors is not my forte, I am sure one of the other growers with more experience will be better able to help you. I mention Air Layering because if you decide to top your tree, this method of rooting let's the top stay with the mother plant until rooting is well underway.

I would guess that cutting a hole in the floor & lowering the planter is not an option just kidding.

I sure hope someone has a helpful hint or two. It just seems you have more tree than house there. Do you have any pictures we can see?

Good luck to you & your Tree.

Marturo

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...assaiaact.html

Old 07-15-02, 09:15 PM
nvsmom
Visiting Guest
Air Layering

Marturo, Thanx so much for the advice. I would like very much to learn more about the Air Layering technique. I really do want to keep the whole plant, it would be such waste to throw out a perfectly healthly plant. My family has suggested to put the tree outside, but it would grow alot more and then what would i do when winter came? I have no pictures. Sorry. It really is a great tree. The wider would be better, so i wouldnt mind that. Please advise! I clicked on the link at the bottom of your message and i had already seen that page. Looking forward to your response. Thanx Tina

Old 07-16-02, 03:44 PM
Air Layerage

Hi Tina,

I will round up some links for you on how to do this & sprinkle in some tricks of my own, I have learned over the years. You can start by finding a small bottle of Dip & Grow as we will use this instead of rootone powder.

Please be patient with me, I am having a bit of trouble and have to order a new CPU. So I will continue to stay online until this CPU gives up the ghost or I get the new CPU by UPS this week I hope.

Marturo

Old 07-16-02, 08:00 PM
Smile Air Layering a Tree

Hi Tina,

Well here is a good link to show the process of Air Layerage. It is really not that hard. This is a game where you can't let the moss around the cut area ever dry out.

The Dip N Gro is a hormone that is mixed by wood type, Hard Woody, semi Hard like your tree & Soft like impations. Knock on Compost, so far I am getting 95 to 100 % rooting success with this Dip N Gro compared to Rootone powder.

You can use saran wrap and electrical tape to seal the end and where it meets the tree. You will paint the Dip N Gro around the cut. Also I said that you would have to keep the moss moist not wet. This moss ball can and should be at least 10 inches accross a little smaller than a foot ball.

I use a hypodermic like you use for giving a dog a vaccine, with this you can add water from the top and put a small piece of scotch tape over the hole. Sometimes I never have to add water however remember what that water is there for.

To provide a moist area for roots that should never be let dry out on most plants or they die. The roots as they grow will start to deliver water to the new plant growing above it.

Instead of girdling the stem, I like to cut at an upward angle about 1/4 the way through and keep the cut open with a Toothpick. For safety, you may want to use a large sharp knife and tap the back of the knife very carefully, until you are where you want to cut to.

Also do a search on Google.com under Air Layering Or Air Layerage it is the latter but most call it layering. Of course this has to be done when the plant is not dormant.

Well Tina, you are well armed with knowledge, Keep in mind we all would like to see a picture of mama & Baby when you get your new tree potted up & growing to Ten Feet tall

http://www.pssc.ttu.edu/plantprop/le...n3/topic17.htm

Old 07-16-02, 09:20 PM
nvsmom
Visiting Guest
Air Layering

Marturo,
Wow! What a great site. Tomorrow i will go and get what i need to do the job. Where would be the best place to get it. We have the normal shops (Walmart, Kmart< Menards etc.) We have a fairly good nursery in the country, would that be a better place to buy the moss and dip and grow stuff? What is "girdling"? Am i suppose to take off all the bark around the wound site or some or none? Wasn't clear. And how far of a cut? Half way thru or just a quarter? I know I ask alot of questions, but it's the only way i learn. thanx, tina

Old 07-16-02, 09:22 PM
nvsmom
Visiting Guest
plant

Oops I might want to read better next time. You gave some of the information already. Thanx tina

Old 07-17-02, 08:12 AM
Gathering the equipment.

Tina Said:
( I ask alot of questions, but it's the only way i learn.) You and me both Tina. I try to learn something new everyday

I know that I might get a rotten tomato thrown at me for saying this, but. I will never again buy anything plant related at Wal-Mart, Lowe's or any of those discount places. We'll buy all your junk and seconds, to pass on to our Suckers "Oh I meam Shoppers."

I could & should write a book on bloops and bleepers on what I have really received when I opened Worlds finist potting soil. I open the bag and it's ground up pine bark filled with Fungus Gnats. Red Roses that some how turn Yellow etc.

Your best bet is to find a Mom & Pop Nursery & let them know right off, what you are trying to do. Most people who start stores of this type, to them it is a labor of love of plants.

They will know just the right kind of moss you will need, accept no subsitute for Dip N Gro. I have rooted the bottom sides of leaves with this product just to see if I could.

A syringe with needle & cover. Pet store, Vet, Friend who is in the medical field, Hobby shops etc.

Girdling is used by certain people with mist chambers who can better control the process. I would not reccomend this over the cut method, because you can kill the whole top well before you get your first roots.

Girdling is what Rabbits will do to un protected young trees & will kill the whole tree within a very short time. Best left to the pros who have the equipment to control the enviornment.

Another thing is not to get the moss too wet, you will see a condensation on the plastic at certian times of the day. A squeeze of the moss will give you an idea of how moist it is.

A light misting of the whole plant at least 2 times a day will help keep it hydrated & happy. I know that you really care about this tree & will start to pick up signs from the plant as the roots start the whole lower part of the plant will start changing. New tips coming out as it transfers it groth hormones from top to side growth.

This is my favorite part of growing plants, taking an expensive plant and turning it into a dozen or more expensive plants for pennies. ASexual propagation starting plants with out seed.

Let me know how you make out on your shopping trip?

Marturo