Old 07-18-02, 09:03 AM
farmer jack
Visiting Guest
Angry ground hogs

how dop you get rid of them.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-02, 12:20 PM
Unhappy It depends on where you live.

I now all to well your anger. Where do you live? Country or city it makes a difference. Then I will give you an answer that will include a firearm of at least .22 cal.

The method depends on where you live. Even though I am highly skilled in marksmanship, my back stop makes the call.

So please let me know, how many Groundhogs, where they come from, and what kind of protection do you have around you for humans & animals from bullets over penatrating.

Marturo

Old 07-18-02, 02:00 PM
farmer jack
Visiting Guest
ground hogs

young neighbors,there anti gun.here in new jersey you cant be too careful.affraid a gun is out.thanks any way jack

Old 07-18-02, 03:37 PM
No Guns.

Well then farmer jack, no guns. I do hope you are not thinking of poison as an alternative, a very nasty death indeed.

Are you familiar with Have a Heart traps? (Live Catch Traps)
Do you have experience traping animals? ( No Human smell)
Is this the method you would like to try?

You can rid yourself of this Groundhog, however it will be a lot of work on your part. Also a trap made to catch this Ground Hog alive and keep it caught. Do a search on, Live catch Traps.

Last Fall we lost over 1000 young healthy 6" Broccoli plants in field. My wife was in Hospital with an Appendicitis with all that going on, my son sat on top of a tall step ladder & shot down killing the Hog instantly. Most important to me, was he did not by shooting right into the ground put any people or animals in harms way. He is 6' Blue eyes , Blond hair & 26, & unmarried ladies LOL.

I did in fact try for the 4 days, before my wife became ill, tried every trick I knew to catch this Hog. I did in fact catch the Hog the day before I went to Hospital with my wife. She chewed through the metal trap, escaping like it was made of noodles.

I'm not sure but Have A Heart traps may have a trap made to capture a Ground Hog. I can tell you now that the Rabbit trap is to light of duty to hold this set of Chompers.

Can you talk a Vet into shooting a sleep dart into this Hog & take it out to the woods?

Of all the Organic posts I have been on & I use them Only, as an example of people who would rather not have to kill. Nine times out of ten & many of these Farmers like us count on, what we can make from our Produce. Have to resort to shooting the Ground Hog.

We took an over $2,000 hit from one 25 lb Female Ground Hog, that would have wiped us out, save for my Sons diligence & 1 good shot.

If you would like to know how I caught this wild & very warry animal just let me know. It took some hunting products and a unique camo job to get it done. I also lost it to, too light of a trap.

Marturo

Old 07-19-02, 06:03 AM
farmer jack
Visiting Guest
Talking ground hogs

hi, hav ahart traps work.i caught one using peanut butter,but then there was the problem of what to do with it.so i had to drive 8 miles to let it go.these things are sure a lot of trouble.there should be some kind of tasty food that sterelizes them.oh well time to reset the trap.only 10 or15 to go.thanks jack

Old 07-19-02, 07:25 AM
Smile Ground Hog Birth Control

Wow Farmer Jack you don't have a Groundhog problem you have a plague of Groundhogs.

I know what you mean about finding a place far enough to let them go. I have caught CopperHeads for other Farmers & driven them way up into the mountains & walked them back in at least 2 miles to let them go. Snakes are a Farmers best friend except some snakes can't co-exist near our homes because they are toxic.

I do wish you the best of luck in your unwanted fulltime hobby. I have no idea if this would work on Hogs. In Ohio I got some Lion Dung from a friend who worked at a zoo & placed it around my garden. It did keep the deer away long enough to bring in a crop of corn.

Of course I think the main natural enemy of a Groundhog is the Automobile.
Best of luck Farmer Jack, If I see a repelant that really works I will post it.

Marturo