Hey my cherry tree is coming back!!

Old 07-19-02, 09:32 AM
Hey my cherry tree is coming back!!

I posted a couple of times about my bad luck with Yoshinos, (I've had 4!) and how the last one was dead this spring. I had figured out the problem (not enough drainage) but was unsure where to try planting another one - as all my preferred locations (where I could see the tree from inside) seemed to stay on the wet side during rainy periods. Well, guess what, I procrastincated and had not yet yanked out the dead tree - and there are now about 3 very healthy-looking branches, 1 1/2 feet high, coming out from the ground at the tree's base. I want to leave them in the hopes that the tree has adapted and established a root system that will allow it to survive in that location. Does this sound reasonable? Should I cut off the old dead tree? I just noticed some yucky looking mold on it yesterday, so I'm thinking that I should at least cut it down to just above the ground anyway. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-02, 09:57 AM
Cherry Tree

Hi yardnut,

By all means, look at it like an operation to save the good. You should remove as much dead wood as you can, then paint/fill all holes with Tree-Kote Tree wound dressing.

That's great news that it is coming back, I am not familiar with the Yoshinos. Where did you get them?

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Marturo

Old 07-19-02, 12:38 PM
Oh you've probably seen them - they are the ornamental cherry trees that are the basis of the Cherry Blossom festival in Washingon DC. I've always loved them - and have been determined to have at least one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!