Rhododendreon

Old 07-24-02, 06:04 AM
snowymich
Visiting Guest
Question Rhododendreon

I live in Michigan Zone 4/5 . I purchased a rhododendreon this spring and planted it on the east side of house in a corner. when I planted it I tried to break up the root ball as best I could without damaging it. We have had a hot and dry summer. The plant is now losing all it's leaves. Only a few green ones left. Do I pull it back up to check the root system or just wait it out and see if it will become established.
Thanks in advance for any info on this.
Snowymich

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 08:36 AM
Rhododendreon

Hi snowymich,

Let me ask you a few questions first please. Does your bush start to come out of ground when pulled up on? Not to hard of a pull, but it should feel firm in the ground.

Do the points where the leaves have fallen, look like the bush has formed new buds for next season?

Do the woody parts of the bush look as if they are dying? Wrinkled and dehydrated.

I have seen this happen before in trees & bushes planted in summer while they were not dormant. I know this is not your present problem, but I have seen transplants lose their leaves & come back next season.

Do not dig the plant now, due to the damage this would cause the small feeder roots if it is indeed rooting.

The Rhododendreon is a very hardy bush, that grows well here in the Mountains of NC. I have seen a whole hillside burned in a Forrest fire & they came back better than before the following year.

Let us know about the present condition of the bush & we will go from there. Remember this bush grows right out of the rocks here & is very strong.

Marturo