Regulator or ???

Old 11-04-18, 05:40 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Regulator or ???

My renovated house uses a heat pump for primary heat in Maine. There is a wall mount vent free 18kBTU Comfort Glow gas heater in the basement that is disconnected. I was thinking of getting like a 40# tank and a regulator and hook it up for power outages and very cold days. I'm not even sure if it works, so I could hook up my 20# tank and see if it works, but can I use the regulator for my grill to check it out?
I've also recently run natural gas into the house, so I could replace the unit with one for NG. My NG installer doesn't recommend ventless units, and I'm familiar with the issues, but it's not going to be a continual heat source.
Too many decisions.

Old 11-04-18, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
My NG installer doesn't recommend ventless units
I agree. They have their place but it is not inside a house.

It may work fine connected to a bottle. I don't see the requirements for that heater listed.

Old 11-21-18, 04:11 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Before you connect this unit to a propane source make sure that it is designed for and is set up to run on propane. Usually these units will run on either fuel but are orficed differently depending on the fuel used. If it is orficed for natural gas, and you connect it to a propane source the result could be disastrous. One more thing, the propane bottle should not be located within the living space even for just a trial run. Never bring a propane bottle into the living space and always insure that that there are no gas connection leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: