Does this flame look OK?

Old 03-10-11, 05:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does this flame look OK?

I have an Eskabe DVEL 12 (propane) direct vent wall heater. When I fire it up, initially all looks fine, then after it heats up (maybe 5 minutes) it starts getting a tall lazy yellow flame near the point where the propane feeds in to the burner (which is near the pilot light assembly). I made a little video of it, which is posted here:
http://www.cs.sjsu.edu/~stamp/other/flame.mov

One other weird thing that after this yellow flame starts going, once I turn it to "pilot", the pilot flame is bright yellow for quite a while, but then eventually goes back to blue.

Is this normal? If not, any ideas on what the problem might be? Thanks.

Old 03-13-11, 07:58 AM
J
I see that lots of people have viewed this, but so far, no responses. This isn't a complicated question---I'm just wondering if this is something that would normally be seen in a propane heater. Anybody out there with a propane heater is qualified to respond. I've never had any propane appliance before, and it looks unusual to me, but I don't know. Thanks.

Old 03-13-11, 11:15 PM
B
I (and probably most people) don't have software on their computer to view a .mov file so I can't view the video. Upload the video to youtube or somewhere and post a link here so we can view it.

Old 03-16-11, 10:03 PM
J
OK, I put it up on Youtube and here's the link:
YouTube - flame

Old 03-17-11, 09:57 AM
The flame looks fine blue with slight orange to red tips is a hot flame...the orange flare on the right is probably the pilot light ...and is likely much lower w/o the main flame going... if not, adjust it down.

Old 03-17-11, 10:07 AM
It is normal for the pilot light to behave like this. The supply to the pilot is increased during burn it takes a while to burn off after burner shut down. This increased flow helps to prevent pilot blowout when the burner shuts down.

Old 03-24-11, 08:17 AM
M
You really can't go the pilot's appearance with the main burner running.

Old 03-24-11, 09:32 AM
C
totally normal. it is your specific blend of gas that is doing this. it will be different in a few days/weeks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: