Can I Use a Generic Regulator or Must It Be the Manufacturer's?

Old 12-22-11, 05:33 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I Use a Generic Regulator or Must It Be the Manufacturer's?

Hi,

I recently obtained from a friend a 10,000 BTU Remington Model REM10PT vent-free propane/LP gas heater. I am thinking of using it to heat our one-car garage during the winter when working on projects out there.

Unfortunately, the heater does not have the hose/regulator assembly that originally came with it. The user manual says, "Use only the hose and factory preset regulator provided with the heater. Use only replacement pressure regulators and hose assemblies specified in this manual."

The replacement hose/regulator assembly (part LPA3090) costs over $60 plus shipping. On the other hand, many less expensive, generic ones are available at eBay, for example.

Do I have to take the manual's caution seriously and use only the manufacturer's replacement part, or is that just a way they cover their behinds and sell more merchandise?

By the way, I plan to have the garage well vented with a three-inch-diameter hose bringing fresh air into the garage, just to be on the safe side.

If I can get away with a generic regulator, is there anything special I need to look for in the device I buy, such as having been certified by a particular agency, etc.?

Thanks for your help,
Bill

Old 12-22-11, 07:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 972 Votes on 893 Posts
There is really nothing magic about a hose and regulator as long as they are the correct ones for your heater. First, you need to confirm what pressure the heater needs. 11" wc is probably the most common for camp stoves, heaters and gas grills but I do not know your heater or what it needs. The manual or data plate on the heater should tell you. Next you need to get a hose and/or fittings to fit the heater and regulator.

Old 12-22-11, 07:42 AM
B
Dane,

Thanks for the information. The manual says the following:

Internal Regulator Setting 8" W.C.

Inlet Gas Pressure to Heater: (inches of water) 14" Max. / 11" Min.

Below is an image taken from the user's manual:

As the image shows, two regulators are pictured, one internal and one external. Of course, it is the external one I'm interested in.

Of the pressure numbers listed above, which one should I use when selecting a replacement external regulator?

The regulators I've seen advertised include a hose. Are fittings from the propane tank to regulator and hose to heater universal?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 12-22-11, 09:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 972 Votes on 893 Posts
It looks like you need a pretty standard 11" wc regulator. You should be able to find them with the grills in any home center or online. You can also check with oil & gas companies that sell propane. They usually have a good supply of everything. If you take the heater in they could probably set you up with everything you need.

Old 12-22-11, 09:57 AM
B
Thanks, Dane.

I'll start my search.

Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: