Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

York diamond 80 furnace 4 blinks issue. Need help please!

12-14-15, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)  
York diamond 80 furnace 4 blinks issue. Need help please!

Hello folks,

Since past 2 days, I am busting my head resolving my York diamond 80 heat furnace issue. The furnace is not blowing hot air and the error code LED blinks 4 times, which corresponds to an issue with Open high limit switch. Well, there are tons of videos floating around to resolve this issue. Apparently the fix is supposed to be simple...well, not so much. I tried every thing from cleaning the flame sensor, by passing the high limit switch (by short circuiting via wire) and checking up all vents and filters. The issue remains. Here's the current behavior of the furnace.

1-Turn on the furnace.
2-Small induction motor starts running...but right away LED start blinking 4 times (Open high limit switch)...hence igniter doesn't kick in and no flames therefore. Motor continues to run.
3-By pass the high limit switch by connecting the two wire via small jump cable and restart.
4-This time there are no LED blinks. Igniter kick in, turns red hot, gas start blowing in and flames comes up just fine .
5-Flames remains running for next couple of minutes. All of a sudden I hear a click and flames goes off.
6-Reset everything again but the LED still blinks 4 times even with the limit switch by pass but the igniter remains cold. This behavior remains as of now.

It is also important to note that sometimes resetting two switches on the main blower panel (Which I believe are some pressure switches) and 3 on the igniter panel would make the igniter to heat up, but this behavior is random. My most recent tries still does work, and LED keeps on blinking indicating issue with open switch.

Guys please help me out here. As mentioned earlier, I tried every thing from cleaning the flame sensor, by passing the high limit switch (by short circuiting via wire) and checking up all vents and filters. Will greatly help for further debug help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

12-14-15, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums.

The limit you are probably looking for will be one located directly above burner area. There may be two..... one on each side of the burner. This type of limit has a little red reset button on the back of the switch. Push the red button in to reset.

These sensors that have a manual reset on them are called flame rollout switches. They sense when the flame leaves the burner area due to a fault.

Let us know what you find.

Name:  rollout switch.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  15.4 KB

~ Pete ~

12-14-15, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Thanks for the reply PJmax.

I have a total of 3 of these switched. One at top and bottom each and the third one at the center. There are also a couple on the main blower compartment. I have reset all of them manually.

The igniter burns and ignites flames after resetting the switches, but they trip again after running for a couple of minutes and 4 blinking LED comes back on. Small motor continues to run though. Here are a couple of observations

1- It gets quite hot in the burner chamber in these 2 minutes when flames comes on, such that its hard to reset the switches. Is that expected?
2- Main blower does not run at all.

Thanks again for the response

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

12-14-15, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)  
I'm not finding a manual for your specific furnace. However, a listing of York diagnostic codes can be found at:
http://www.hvacc.net/pdf/upd111507/R...%20diamond.pdf

The 4 flash code for 80% efficient single stage furnaces seems to be for an open high temperature limit switch, not a flame rollout switch.

The high temperature limit switch should open if the furnace overheats, and should close again automatically when the furnace cools off again. Typically, the fan circulating air around the house runs whenever the high temperature limit switch open to help cool off the furnace, and the burners shut off when the high temperature limit switch opens.

<<I have a total of 3 of these switched. One at top and bottom each and the third one at the center. There are also a couple on the main blower compartment. I have reset all of them manually.
>>

This presumably refer to the manual reset flame rollout switches, not the high temperature limit switch. So these switches should not be the problem.

There is one primary limit switch, which resets automatically. It's usually located in the middle of the furnace just above the burners. It usually has a code letter "L" (for limit) and three numbers which indicate the temperature at which it shuts off the burners.

So L-180 would be a limit switch that opens at 180 degrees F.

SOMETIMES there is a second limit switch in the fan compartment that has a manual reset --- a button that must be pushed before the limit will reset. If so, this is typically wired IN SERIES with the primary limit --- so you can check to see where the wire to the primary limit goes.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-14-15, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Normally a standard high limit switch will not be manually resettable. Usually only flame rollout switches have the red button on them.

A model number for your furnace would be a big help at this point and some pictures would also help. The model number is found inside on an ID plate by the burner.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

~ Pete ~

12-16-15, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)  
An update on the thread. It was the run capacitor that was failing. Bought it for $8 from the local store. Replacing that fixed the issue. Its been running fine since last night. I finally have a warm house and my wife is not after me anymore

Thanks for all the responses folks, you guys are great!

12-16-15, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)  
York Diamond 80 Model #: P4HUB16L06401A

Here is the model # of the furnace
York Diamond 80 Model #: P4HUB16L06401A

Capacitor type 2MDV7 (From Grainger industrial supply)

03-07-17, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)  
York Diamond 80 Flashes 4 Times Fix

Hi,
Not an expert but here is what worked for me.
Pull out the plug, turn off all heating from thermostat. Ensure filter is clean and vent openings are open and not mostly closed throughout the house.
1) Cleaned the flame sensor with a dollar bill or fine sandpaper (2 screws, easy); see youtube for this.
2) Changed out the run capacitor located on big fan motor (2 screws; easy and cheap)
3) Ensure you pressed in all the Load sensor reset buttons. Especially the one hidden in the 2nd compartment on the big fan motor. These are small buttons in between the connectors. (4 total...the other three are located along the flame output area...top, middle, bottom).
4). Ensure the sensor that looks like a black credit card on the back wall of the main compartment (one with the flame) with two connectors on it is flicked or working...can bypass temporarily to troubleshoot but not to permanantly fix...dangerous to bypass a safety feature...always be present. Order new one if the bypass turns on heater but don't run heater to heat house with just bypass.
At this point, your heater should work after plugging it in and setting the thermostat accordingly. Other only thing I can think of is a bad ignitor. Hope this helped...worked for me. Amazon had the run capacitor. Be safe and call a professional if you need to. Also, this heater has an auto ignite system so no need for a match or lighter.

Group Moderator

NJ

03-07-17, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums.

Thru the hit and miss idea you fixed your furnace by doing routine servicing and changing parts. That's certainly one way to do it.

For any additional problems..... please start a new thread.
Fell free to reference this thread which will remain in our searchable archives.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread