How to Lite a Modine Gas Garage Heater PD 30AA0111

Old 10-16-17, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Lite a Modine Gas Garage Heater PD 30AA0111

Hello, I have a Modine gas heater PD 30AA0111 in my garage I need to light. It's 30,000 BTU in and 24,000 out. I have my manual that the installer left with me but the dials don't match. Looking online, my model has articles on how to light my model but Modine has pulled the info off line. The first pic is my dial on the heater. It shows 'SET', 10, 20 and not sure what the last number are on the dial. Wanted to quiz about it before I started moving the dial. Which way do I take the dial to light the pilot light? To Set on the right or other direction? I can't read the end number the left in pic, my dial. If it said pilot, I wouldn't have the problem. Thank you for all your help here!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-17, 07:28 PM
Also, just for knowledge, which line is supplying the gas? The copper line or the bigger metal line? I have never had to re-lite this heater to date. Thanks!

Old 10-16-17, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 406 Votes on 382 Posts
The copper line is the thermocouple. It's job is to hold the valve open after the pilot is lit. If the pilot won't stay lit... the thermocouple may be bad. The larger line is the the aluminum gas line for the pilot.

Your valve says OFF, ON and SET PILOT. I'm guessing you hold the red lever to the set pilot position, light the pilot, wait a minute and then allow the control to go back to the pilot position. The pilot should stay lit. Now mode the control to ON.

Name:  Modine Gas Heater PD 30AA0111.jpg
Views: 4267
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 10-16-17, 09:43 PM
Oh wow! Duh! lol Some letters missing. Didn't think about turning it sideways to read. The dial facing the wall and couldn't see real well. Pretty cozy back there. Thank you! That helps bunches!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Raemarti; 10-16-17 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-17-17, 05:20 PM
Thank you! I got it lit and waiting for the blower to kick on. I turned the thermostat all the way down to start so it didn't lite all the burners at once. How soon should the fan kick on? I have good blue flame across the burner. Turned up the thermostat to 65 for the garage but don't have a blower as yet. Does it need to warm up? Question: Is there any way the original installer could have turned the ignition toggle block to the larger part of the room? Or does it come OEM with the heater housing that way? That was brutal trying to light it sucked up against the wall. Thank you!

Got the blower! Took about 20 minutes for it to start blowing! Nice a toasty in my garage this winter! Woot! Thank you to all who help on these forums! You are lifesavers!

Last edited by Raemarti; 10-17-17 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 10-17-17, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
It should take several minutes to warm up before the fans starts. It should also run several minutes after the burner shuts off to cool the heat exchanger.

Not sure about the gas valve part. There isn't usually a way to move it.

Old 10-17-17, 06:49 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I turned the thermostat all the way down to start so it didn't lite all the burners at once.

All burners MUST light within a second or two. Otherwise raw gas will be injected into the combustion chamber.

Old 10-17-17, 07:34 PM
All's good! Pilot light stayed well lit. Returned to ON position. Had a full run of burners both sides(2 runs, I believe) when I turned up the thermostat. Just no blower for about 20 minutes. Had to warm up. Was just wondering about the ignition housing. The ignition housing screws in on both sides of the gas pipe. If it were facing to the larger part of the room so easier to work on, the SET PILOT, ON, OFF would be upside down to me so probably even harder to read. lol I have bookmarked everything and saved PJMax's picture to my house repairs file for next go round at a later time. Installed in 2004, never had to light it before. I do turn the thermostat down in the summer. Thank you all!

Old 01-14-19, 10:55 AM
Can see the coupler has corrosion..

Does taking off the panels expose the pilot tube and thermal coupler?

Old 01-14-19, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Removing or opening the bottom panel usually exposes the bottom of the burner where the pilot system is located.

Old 01-14-19, 11:24 AM
Ok, so bottom panel folds down, there is a brass coupler mounted with a small hole in the center, is that where you can ignite the flame?

Old 01-14-19, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
There should be a 1/4" aluminum gas line and a very thin copper tube meeting at the pilot location. That's where it would be lit. At the end of the aluminum tube there may be a brass orifice fitting.

You can post a picture if unsure....... How-to-insert-pictures