No gas flow to garage heater?

Old 03-21-18, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No gas flow to garage heater?

I am new to the forum. I have lived in my home about 5 years and am finally trying to figure out how to get my garage heater to kick on. I discovered no gas flow is coming through the pipe after the heater wouldn't ignite. I unkooked the flexible line to the heater and no gas. The valve in the garage is in the on position and a valve in my basement furnace room is in the on position. The garage is detached and i can mostly see where the gas line runs aside
From where it goes up in the basement ceiling and underground outside. I see no other valves anywhere visible. I am stumped. The gas would flow out of line pretty immediately right? Fyi the gas is from the city, not a tank in the yard. Thanks Joshua

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-18, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have natural gas. You would smell it in seconds if you had an open pipe.
It sounds like there is another valve somewhere or the service is somehow capped off. Are you sure the valve in the basement feeds that line and not a stove or oven ?

Pretty hard to offer much more advice. It's a matter of following it from one end to the other.

Old 03-22-18, 03:41 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I would disconnect the gas line at both ends and try to blow out the line with compressed air. If the line runs outside it could have filled with enough water to freeze and block the line. You could wait till this summer and try the compressed air trick. If you find any water in the line then you could address that problem during the warm weather. Call the gas company and ask for their advice to correct the water problem. You may need to add a dryer, increase the gas line size, or add a water trap in the line.

Old 03-22-18, 05:07 AM
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Do not blow through it with compressed air. If there is an appliance on the other line leaving the basement, the compressed air will destroy the valve.
Most automatic gas valves are only rated to 1/2 PSI.
I’d disconnect the basement end and see if there’s pressure there.

Old 03-22-18, 01:55 PM
No gas appliances in the house. I can pretty clearly trace the black gas pipe from my basement to outside and to the garage. The fact that no gas at all comes out at the garage makes me think another valve but i have yet to find one. How likely is it the pipe could be blocked underground? Could i disconnect outside and blow air through toward the garage?
The gas line to the garage is immediately after the line to the water heater. That is wear the first valve is. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 03-22-18, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
No gas appliances in the house.
The water heater is a gas appliance.

If the line underground is compromised.... blowing air thru it really isn't going to help. If you can verify both ends you could certainly try it. Is there a place to disconnect the pipe ? Usually the piping starts at one and continues to the end..... all threaded end to end with no way to disconnect it.

Old 03-22-18, 03:04 PM
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Is the water heater gas? If not, the gas company may have shut off gas to the building because of no use. I actually had that happen at a local university outbuilding.

Old 03-23-18, 09:43 AM
Sorry, I guess when I think of appliance, water heater isn't the first thing to come to mind. I managed to get a hold of the previous owner of the home and he informed me that he had to run a new black gas line underground because the previous was so rusted it broke off in his hand. He said there are no other valves and it is likely that the issue is underground. The distance of pipe is probably only 10 to 15 feet. Sounds like that some digging and a new properly protected gas line is in order? If I uncovered the pipe, would it be best to have a professional come and place a new line?