Gas line to loft calculation help

Old 09-17-18, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas line to loft calculation help

Hello,
Thank you for the add-
I live in an 800sf cottage in northern Ohio. I built a loft a few years ago and my son and his gf moved up there last season. The loft is not insulated (wasn't intended for winter use). They stayed up there last year using propane with a wall mounted gas heater. The propane was very expensive. I have insulated just a small bit, really wanting them to move out, ha! Anyway, I ran a 1/2" gas line from the main cottage out to the wall heater in the loft, approx. 50' liner feet total. The gas line is branching off the line hookup at the water heater. I also have a wall mounted heater in my main cottage (1/2" branch to that). So here's what I have in total:
34,000 BTU gas water heater
30,000 BTU wall heater (main house)
30,000 BTU wall heater (in loft) NEW
1 1/4" main coming into house, drops to 3/4", branches to water heater and wall heater at 1/2".

If I did my redneck calculations correctly, to run this safely, I think I need to downsize the upstairs heater to a 20,000 BTU heater and that should work. My boyfriend thinks that if I tie in right at the water heater that the water heater will pull first and starve the line going to the loft. I don't agree. If you want to get technical, the new line would actually be pulling first by about a 3", then to the water heater.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-18, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry.... I read your post three times and cannot get the full impact of it. Usually a member will make up a diagram illustrating the piping and then post the diagram.