Keeping gas line valves "limber"

Old 01-10-19, 12:12 PM
Keeping gas line valves "limber"

I have several outdoor natural gas valves: the main valve to the house, one for the pool heater, and one for the BBQ. The latter 2 are exposed to the elements.

The valves are ~30 years old, and get closed very seldom, pretty much only when a gas appliance is replaced.

I would like to make sure the valves turn by giving them some exercise. But I'm afraid they'll snap off from disuse.

What do you recommend to "limber up" the gas valves? WD-40? Something else? I figure I'll treat these outdoor valves for a while before attempting to exercise them.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-19, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have never ever had a problem with a gas line valve. They aren't really subject to corrosion like water valves are. I think you're worried over nothing.

Old 01-10-19, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
The valves are internally greased. They don't usually rust as they are mostly galvanized.
If you have a valve that is very rusted..... wire brush it clean and paint it.

Old 01-10-19, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by PJmax
The valves are internally greased. They don't usually rust as they are mostly galvanized.
If you have a valve that is very rusted..... wire brush it clean and paint it.
Paint or a dab of heavy duty red-molly grease.

Could try the old farmer/thrifty/cheap practice of "painting" the fence gate hinges, strikeplates, and exposed nuts and bolts with used ball joint grease to keep the surfaces from rusting and seizing.

Old 01-10-19, 06:04 PM
If you know what you are doing and have a good knowledge of these gas valves, they can be taken apart and lubricated with a special "gas valve grease". If you have no experience with gas valves, have a service company that has experience with this and have them do the job. Do not spray them with WD-40 or PB blaster or coat the outside with a lubricant.