HVAC for a Tiny (352 sq.ft.) house

Old 06-28-19, 09:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question HVAC for a Tiny (352 sq.ft.) house

I did't see a category for some general HVAC questions, so I'm posting my questions here hoping they can be answered (I'm open to not just gas heaters). I am designing a tiny house that has an interior area of 352 sq.ft. It has three separate spaces : 99 sq.ft. office area, 23 sq.ft. bathroom, and 230 sq. ft. main area. the tiny house has a crawl space. I was thinking the crawl space would be on the inside of the insulation envelop. The tiny house also has 8' ceilings in office and bath areas and a cathedral ceiling in the main area with no space for ducts in the cathedral ceiling. I would like even conditioning throughout -- do not want to have cold/hot areas in rooms, but I also want the most economical way to heat and cool the spaces. I would prefer to heat using propane, but I am open to other solutions as well. What are some options I have for doing this in zone 3 (40-45 BTU / sq.ft.)? I can give more information such as type of insulation and window area if needed. I would like to be able to list a type of system, be able to draw it's footprint, and show the size and type of space needed in the floor plan.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-19, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
Mini splits were my first thought but they are electric so you wouldn't be able to heat with dinosaurs. Because it's so small I wonder if an RV (camper) HVAC system would be appropriate. Most of them heat with propane and have air conditioning. I just don't know their efficiency and whether or not they are approved for non-mobile structures.

Old 06-28-19, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
RV heaters heat with propane but most are strictly that..... heaters.Typically the A/C units are on the rooftop. Some of the bigger RV's use a combo unit but that needs to be ducted.

Based on your setup and lack of room.... a mini split heat pump or a PTAC might be the only way to go.

Old 06-30-19, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How about a traditional forced air gas furnace and AC unit that allows LP conversion? what is the smallest size those come in? I have only seen as small as 40,000 BTU units, but I would only need about half that, if even that, I am guessing. I would think one of these units would distribute warmth/coolness more evenly without having areas not covered such as in the bathroom area, and would also be quieter since the units are concealed/outdoors. Not as inexpensive to install as a mini split, but still affordable, I would think, especially for such a small house.

Old 06-30-19, 08:42 AM
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
It would be way to big, and therefor have a very short life from over cycling.
Propane can be very expensive to heat with. I don’t recommend it as a primary heating source.
I’d look into a minisplit heat pump with electric baseboard as backup heat.

Old 07-02-19, 04:23 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
One good quality wall mount ductless split should heat and cool that area well.