waterproofing the hole for new gas line

Old 09-09-19, 04:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
waterproofing the hole for new gas line

Hi All! I have not been on this forum since 2011!

I am running a gas line into my shed to power a small propane heater. I need to bring the propane line in through the exterior wall.

My question is what kind of a grommet or escutcheon is out there that will waterproof this hole in the exterior wall? In the winter, the hole will be covered by snow, and it will be facing the weather as well. So I need to make this waterproof. Another requirement is that it will have to look decent, can I just install an escutcheon over it once I get it waterproofed?

Thanks in advance!
Jim

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-19, 04:31 PM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
The electrical and gas lines going through the basement wall were sealed with the gray electrical putty!

Old 09-09-19, 05:47 PM
Thanks Marq - I was thinking about something like that for the waterproof aspect of the stuff, but I'm concerned that being out in the woods the critters would like the taste of the Duxwax, and I also need it to look nice. I don't want to have just a hole in the side that has foam or wax plugging it. Mice are prolific out here and I have heard some horror stories about porcupines eating just about anything.

Old 09-10-19, 12:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 241 Posts
What are you using for a supply line that you need to seal ?

Since it's exposed..... I'd probably be using some type of pipe from the ground up.
If you're using copper.... drill a somewhat snug hole and use silicone.

Old 09-10-19, 03:35 PM
Thanks PJ - The snug hole and silicone is really where I am leaning at the moment, and to make it look "pretty" I am thinking of an escutcheon over the hole that hides the silicone and hole and keeps the critters away from eating any of it.

Copper seems to be the easiest, since I will have a tank right outside the wall and only a few feet of line will be exposed on the outside. Inside it will be fed directly through the wall into the cabinet where the furnace will be, connected to my interior shutoff and drip leg. I can feed it through the snug hole and flare it after I have it through the wall.

Jim

Last edited by jimmagu; 09-10-19 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Clarity and completeness
Old 09-10-19, 04:50 PM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
So don't take this wrong, but you have a nice looking shed sitting on a bunch of crazy stacks of cinder blocks and your worried about the appearance of a small amount of sealant around a pipe being visible?

Seems a little out of context!

Old 09-12-19, 01:34 PM
All in good time Marq. I did not anticipate the builder needing to put it up on blocks like that, my fault for not recognizing the grade in this site. I'm going to have to re-stack the blocks (double them up) and skirt it in, but right now I'm working towards getting this ready for the cold months. Money is an issue, as is time - so I've got my list for sure, that's just on the 2020 pages of the calendar.

With respect to the work I am doing on it today - everything I am doing I want to do right, and do only once.

Trust me, this squirrel is almost out of nuts and I have a lot to do before the snow flies.

Last edited by jimmagu; 09-12-19 at 01:42 PM. Reason: One long run on sentence was hard to read