Smaller Gas Stove Turned On Randomly Twice

Old 10-01-19, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smaller Gas Stove Turned On Randomly Twice

We have a gas stove. And it turned on once by itself and got super hot when we were gone. I thought one of my kids did it because we used it quite a bit. But then one night when we were sleeping, it did it again and I could smell it up in my room when we were sleeping. It also got super hot, luckily nothing was leaning up against it. That was about a year and half ago because after that I turned off the gas and disconnected the electrical so it can't happen again. Our kitchen was added on at some point, and instead of insulating it and heating it correctly they just put this stove in? It gets super cold in the winter if we don't use it, so looking for some type of a solution.

Is this something that is fixable? Or am I better off playing it much safer any going with a new pellet stove or something? I am more than okay with calling in a professional to deal with it, I don't mess with gas. Even I know my limits. But is it worth it in your opinion?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-19, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 224 Votes on 206 Posts
It would help if you told us what your "gas stove" is. Is it the kitchen appliance, a free standing heating device or something else?

Old 10-01-19, 05:25 PM
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Is this gas stove for heating, cooking or both? If a gas stove for heating, there may be a thermostat controlled turn on/off based on temperature. Can you provide the manufacturer and model number of the stove? Hard to believe the stove gas valve turned on with immediate ignition twice without automatic control.

Old 10-02-19, 08:00 AM
Hey guys, sorry didn't think of a cooking stove because ours is electric. Yes a free standing gas stove for heating. I never thought about that thermostat having it kick it self in. I will get the model number and make tonight.

Old 10-02-19, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Many freestanding gas stoves have thermostats built in, a remote with a thermostat or controlled by a wall thermostat somewhere just like a furnace or air conditioner. If yours is turning itself on then there is likely a thermostat somewhere commanding it.

If you want the stove OFF! Turn off the appliance. Most/all have an on/off dial that can also turn off the pilot light. You can also turn off the gas supply. There should be a quarter turn shutoff valve at the end of the gas line to the appliance.

Old 10-03-19, 08:39 AM
Here was the label on the back. Does this one have one built in then? Is that what could have made it turn on by itself? But even if that is what turned it on, how could it ever get that hot without turning off or some safety feature to not let it get as hot as it did? I know it has a switch on the top that says on off, then another that says auto or manual with a twist dial for temperature I am guessing.

Would it be worth calling a heating guy to come in and fix it or put a new thermostat on? Or I was looking into pellet stoves because they seem safer than gas... but they are not cheap either.

Thanks!

Name:  label.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  84.4 KB

** Representative picture **
Name:  dv400.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  14.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-03-19 at 10:08 AM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture - added stove pic
Old 10-03-19, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
That is a gas fired wood type stove. It is supposed to get hot. I left a link below but apparently a thermostat is an option so you either have a wall thermostat or you don't. If you don't have the wall thermostat it shows an ON/OFF switch on the back of the stove for power.

Do you have that ? It would have to be on for the stove to light.

DV400 manual (pdf)

Old 10-03-19, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
"Does this one have one built in then?" Are you asking about a thermostat?

Looking online at the manual it says that stove had a remote control with thermostat. Do you have the remote? Do you have an external thermostat wired to your stove?

Old 10-04-19, 08:51 AM
Thanks for fixing the picture.

"That is a gas fired wood type stove. It is supposed to get hot."

Well I have had it get hot and run nice in the kitchen. But it just seemed odd it got so hot I could smell burning all the way upstairs in my bedroom when I was sleeping...

"If you don't have the wall thermostat it shows an ON/OFF switch on the back of the stove for power."

I swear when I checked it, that was set to off when it turned on by itself.... otherwise I would have been more okay with it I remember. That is what was so odd about the whole thing.

"Looking online at the manual it says that stove had a remote control with thermostat. Do you have the remote? Do you have an external thermostat wired to your stove?"

I have neither....

It seems by all the research I have done now that I have the model number and such that its a pretty decent stove. And most likely my best bet is to have someone come install a thermostat or at least check the "built in" one right? Selling it for a pellet stove, doesn't really seem like the most economic idea.

Thanks everyone

Old 10-04-19, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
You've got a good stove. I would not get rid of it. You just need to figure out how to operate it properly and a professional would be able to help if the manual isn't doing it.