Unit heater shutting off

Old 03-25-20, 02:03 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unit heater shutting off

I have a Beachon/Morris The Brute 2 unit heater model number GG/BRT-45. The motor turns on (moving in outside air) the electronic ignition starts the flame. The flame looks fine. The fan turns on and then 2 -5 minutes later it turns off with 2 blinking lights that means
1 gas supply off or gas pressure too low
2. Flame sense rod contaminated or loose wire.
3. Gas valve is off or wires not connected.
4. Broken or cracked porcelain on flame probe or spark ignitor.
I have replaced the flame sensor and it is reading 8 micro amps.
I have cause faults on the pressure switch and gett a 3 light code and clears when the hose is plugged in again and furnace starts up again. Same with the high limit and rollout switch. They are in series and if I open the circuit I get a 4 light code and it starts running when they are reconnected.
I think my issue is either my board or gas supply control unit.
The gas supply unit has an on off switch. The problem has been getting worse for weeks. I used to be able to turn the thermostat off and on to reset and it would work for a couple of days. Now I turn the furnace off and the gas switch off and it takes an hour to reset. Every time it resets it will run for a couple of minutes and then shut down and lock out again.

https://youtu.be/eaMz9yN6000 is a video. Commentary has errors as the other videos on my channel show when it wasn't starting it's because the gas valve was locked out and had the 2 blink code. Fast flashing means calling for heat.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-20, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 564 Posts
The "relay" thing is the 24vAC transformer. It won't make any clicking sounds.

Those switches on the gas valve can become intermittent.
Turning it off and on several times usually take care of it.

It looks like you are getting a 2 flash code directly on power up.
That would indicate a problem with the board.

You should be getting a slow heartbeat on power up and a fast one on heat demand.

Old 03-26-20, 09:16 AM
D
I'm uncertain if the issue is the intermittent switch or the board. If I end up buying both I may as well just buy a new furnace. Any way to test to be sure?

Old 03-26-20, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 564 Posts
You moved the switch a few times. That should be all that is needed. Regardless.... the board doesn't know if the gas valve even has a problem until the burner has failed.

A board should not power up in a faulted mode. Your board should fire up as a slow blink and then go to the 2 flash code on burner failure. My recommendation is to replace the board.

Old 04-01-20, 12:49 PM
D
Thanks

Thanks for the help. Ended up being the board. Ends up my house furnace has the same gas valve so I swapped out the switch board on both units and they both worked the same. Swapped them back and replaced the board. The garage is now nice and warm.