Convection gas range vs electric?

Old 06-13-16, 10:03 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Convection gas range vs electric?

I know that traditionally, electric range ovens heated more evenly than gas. But, what about gas ovens with convection?

Anyone have any experiences?

Old 06-13-16, 11:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
I have a Kenmore Elite gas convection oven. Whether the oven is a Kenmore or other brand, convection is the way to go.
You can easily cook restaurant quality food, especially beef roasts and poultry.
The meat or poultry will be crispy or darkened on the outside and juicy on the inside.

Many of my customers don't even realize they have a convection oven. The oven can be switched between normal baking and convection mode and the proper cycle must be selected.

Old 06-13-16, 11:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I think the big knock against gas ovens is it's harder to crisp things due to the large amount of water created by the burning of the gas.

Old 06-13-16, 11:23 AM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Its not a large amount of humidity really since most of the water goes out the chimney/vent with the combustion gases. With convection its not an issue at all.

And a convection oven will always heat more evenly than a conventional oven, gas or electric.

Old 06-13-16, 11:50 AM
M
Good to hear.

I was originally thinking a dual-fuel range, but in freestanding, there wasn't anything that looked appealing to me. I know slide in is a better look but I'm not looking to change or redo the backsplash behind the range right now. It's tiled for a freestanding panel. The countertop is also just cheap pre-fab laminate.

I'm actually more concerned with cooking evenly than crispness. I have a blow torch. Lol.

Old 06-13-16, 12:47 PM
E
Absolutely no benefit to a dual fuel range vs a high quality gas range.

Old 06-14-16, 03:19 PM
M
Also, I'm going to be getting a new range hood and venting it outside. There is going to be some flexible duct to get to the wall, which I'm going to run above the cabinets. I'm currently looking at the Broan QP330 hood, which is 450CFM on highest setting. Is this adequate? Calculations say I should do BTU/10, but that would be 570 CFM for the range I'm looking at getting. It's 5x burners, but I know that I wouldn't use more than 2x burners simultaneously...

Thoughts?

Old 06-15-16, 07:17 PM
E
Just as a general rule, Nobody complains about too many CFM where as too few can be a disaster.

Old 06-15-16, 07:53 PM
M
Well, I ordered the QP4.

Are there ways I can tell if I need to add make up air?

The house was built in '92. I believe there in intake and exhaust PVC from the HVAC unit, but definitely no motorized damper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: