Oven Burner Problems

Old 07-31-02, 05:27 AM
jaftpa
Visiting Guest
Kenmore gas oven not igniting

I have a Kenmore natural gas oven (model 75675). I have a similar problem as one of the other postings but slightly different. My oven doesn't ignite. The glow igniter seems to be working properly. Top burners work fine, broiler works fine. The interesting thing is as follows: When the oven is turned on to any temp., the glow igniter glows. No flame until you turn the gas on on one of the top burners. The oven flame then ignites. What does the top burner have to do with the oven that affects it like this????

Old 07-31-02, 07:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello jaftpa. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Thanks for taking a few minutes and reading the other postings on similar problems. Main reason I change [Edit} the topic. Makes it much easier to locate a prior posting with a similar problem.

Off hand, I can only think of 3 potential possibilities:

A weak glow coil.
Even if it does glow, may still not be hot enough.

A defective oven gas valve.
The internal solenoid may be weak.
Defective could also mean electrically, mechanical or as stated below.

Too much gas pressure.
Stove gas pressure is regulated at the appliance regulator.
The appliance regulator maintains 3.5 or 4.5 inches of water column of pressure when working correctly. The one on your stove may not be working correctly.

Too much gas pressure may also mean being supplied to the stove from the gas supply pipe. If the stove is using natural gas, then the supply pressure should be 7 to 10 inches of water column pressure.

Turning on a top burner to allow the oven gas valve to open could indicate a higher then normal gas pressure at or after the appliance regulator.

I would suggest you have the gas utility check the pressure in the supply pipe and at the stove after the appliance regulator, before assuming any parts need to be replaced, except for the glow coil. The coil may be weak but still glowing.

Old 08-01-02, 05:29 AM
jaftpa
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom. I'll look into these areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: