Gas Water Heater

Old 08-10-02, 05:43 AM
GERRI TAYLOR
Visiting Guest
Gas Water Heater

I HAVE A UNITROL GAS WATER HEATER. THE MAIN GAS VALVE TO OUR HOUSE WAS TURNED OFF TO INSTALL A NEW A/C. THAT CUT THE GAS TO THE WATER HEATER. I AM NOW NEEDING TO RELITE THE HEATER. THERE IS A DIAL ONLY W/ HOT,NORMAL&COLD ON IT. I HAVE OPENED FRONT.SEE THE PILOT AREA.HOLD MATCH THERE WITH NO RESULTS???HELP.thanks a bunch but of course i need to be difficult. there is no red button& the dial doesn't push in . any other ideas????

Last edited by GERRI TAYLOR; 08-10-02 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-10-02, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 165 Likes on 128 Posts
Look for a button of some kind on the gas valve. I haven't had gas heater in ages, but seem to recall the button was red. All you do is turn on the gas (there may be a "light" position on the dial), push in the button and hold it there, and light the pilot. As I recall you have to keep the button depressed for 30 seconds after lighting or something like that. What you are doing is overriding the thermocouple saftey device that cuts the gas supply in the event the pilot goes out. Once the sensor has warmed up from the pilot burning it will continue to burn after releasing the button. If there is not a seperate button, try pushing in on the dial, that may be another design for doing the lighting.

Old 08-10-02, 11:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Gerri Taylor. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The information posted by tow-guy is correct. The control knob on the top of the thermostat control will have a "Pilot" postion. Turning that round control knob to this postion will allow you to lite the pilot while depressing the "Red" button.

The "Red" reset button must be held down in the depressed postion for atleast 60 seconds before releasing it. If the pilot remains ON, turn the control knob to the "ON" position and the main burner should fireup.

If the main burner does not light up, raise the thermostats temperature to maximum to allow the burner to lightup and then lower it to your desired temperature.

If the pilot does not remain on when you release the "Red" button, the thermocouple is dead. This often happens when the flame gets extinguished for any number of reasons.

In the above case, the thermocouple must be replaced. Check the prior postings, within this forum, on this topic of water heaters and the replies offered. In them you'll find additional information and instructions on how to replace a water heaters thermocouple etc.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart......Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 08-10-02, 05:19 PM
GERRI TAYLOR
Visiting Guest
water heater

i put the reply on my origional msg. could you look there ?

Old 08-10-02, 09:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: GERRI

I have no idea where there is. This is your orginal post in this topic. Re-post you're reply here. Click the reply button at the lower right hand corner or the upper right hand corner of this posting.

Thanks,
Tom_B
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator & Web Site Host.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: