Pilot won't stay lit

Old 08-15-02, 08:19 PM
dugnorth
Visiting Guest
Pilot won't stay lit

I have been told that if the pilot light won't stay lit, it may be because of a bad thermocouple. Is this the type of thing that a mechanically inclined guy with no experience with gas appliances can fix or is it best left to a professional? Thanks!

Old 08-16-02, 04:18 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

Dryer?....Range?...Water heater?...Furnace?

A pilot not staying on can be a thermocoupler, dirty pilot orifice, bad control, spider web in the tube....if there is any doubt in your abilty to repair a gas appliance = call an tech!

jeff.

Old 08-16-02, 07:24 AM
dugnorth
Visiting Guest
Right...Sorry! It's a Maytag gas dryer.

A dirty pilot orifice or spider web could certainly be the culprit in this case; the thing is filthy.

Thanks for the advice!

Dug

Old 08-16-02, 04:54 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

**Right...Sorry! It's a Maytag gas dryer.**

Howdy,

Some things about pilots....if your dryer is over 20 years old, it may have a pilot...anything newer should be a glow coil style...some help on lighting a common dryer pilot...

Lighting a dryer pilot.

jeff.

Old 08-16-02, 06:55 PM
dugnorth
Visiting Guest
Jeff,

Since it has instructions to light the pilot, I was thinking this was the pilot type rather than the glow coil type. It certainly looks older than 20 years.

I turned off the gas at the appliance, unplugged the machine, removed the outer shell, vaccuumed like crazy, blew some canned air at the pilot assembly. Viola! The pilot light is solid and steady. Spider web, indeed.

The electrical blade connectors going to what I assume is the main gas jet sensor looked awful so I cleaned those up a bit. It appears to work, the main flame goes on and off every few minutes in what I hope is an effort to maintain a constant, warm air tempature.

The thing smells a bit like burning hair when in operation, however.

Regards,

Dug

Old 08-16-02, 09:00 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hi,

**vaccuumed like crazy, blew some canned air at the pilot assembly. Viola! The pilot light is solid and steady. Spider web, indeed.**

Good deal.

**The thing smells a bit like burning hair when in operation, however.**

Maytag gas burner used to be sideways at the front of the dryer...if the flame is lazy ( air shutter adjustment, poor air flow/vent/vent hood/filter ) the flame would often singe the front drum felt and give an odor....just a guess!

jeff.

Old 08-18-02, 07:32 AM
dugnorth
Visiting Guest
Jeff,

Right again! You're good....very good.

The last person that put this machine back together decided to do without a couple of screws that help hold the warm-air-transfer-duct (sorry, I don't know the real name) up. Consequently, the felt was too close to the shroud around the main flame. As you guessed, the felt was the stinky culprit.

I've got a working dryer thanks to you.

Dug

P.S. I wonder how much money I saved on a repair call.

Old 08-18-02, 08:08 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

**P.S. I wonder how much money I saved on a repair call.**

Ka-ching

I am glad we could help!!

jeff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: