Gas Dryer Installation

Old 08-22-02, 08:48 AM
jim_dailey
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer Installation

I purchased a gas dryer form Lowes and didn't find out until delivery that they did not install it. I was under the impression that installation was part of the deal since the last dryer I bought from Sears was installed when delivered. The dryer did not come with the equipment needed for hookup.

So, I have a gas line which was used by the previous dryer (old owner) and I have a dryer. I went in search of a standard gas dryer connection kit at Lowes and Home Depot. I found one previously opened kit at Home Depot and when I got home realized that it was too short and that it was different than the diagram in the manual. The diagram shows some sort of safety pin valve and it uses an elbow connection at the connection point to the dryer. The kit is just a metal tube. So, should I try finding all the parts at Lowes or Home Depot and put it together or should I just hire a professional and pay them $100+ for something that seems fairly simple. I don't want to have the thing be unsafe or leak gas.

You're probably thinking that the manual will tell me everything. It doesn't list exact parts that you need it just shows a diagram of the connection which is not a picture but a drawing. Any advice?

Old 08-22-02, 03:27 PM
ChaseB
Visiting Guest
What brand?

Get me a brand, and I'll give you a 800 number that should help get you some information on it.

Old 08-22-02, 04:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello jim_dailey. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Jim. In my opinion, to get the correct installation parts, I recommend you visit a locally owned and operated hardware store or the local appliance parts store. Avoid the large retail chain stores for this type of project.

The flex gas line diameter should be 3/8" and the length should be not less then 6 feet. The 6 footer is so the dryer can be slide forwards to clean behind it and work behind it when the need arises, without having to remove the gas line flex after initial installation.

The gas supply pipe extending out of the wall should be 1/2. If so, then you'll need a 1/2 by 3/8 shut-off valve on that pipe. The shut-offs female end attaches to the pipe while the flex line attaches to the male end of the shut-off valve.

The inlet pipe on the dryer gets the adapter. An adapter is the small part {cap like} that has both male/female ends. The female end of the adapter gets attached to the dryers inlet pipe and the male end is where the flex-lines female capnut end gets attached to.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Check the prior postings pertaining to dryer installations, within this forum, for additional information.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years and or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator & Web Site Host
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 08-26-02, 08:48 PM
geech_88
Visiting Guest
Hi Jim, I purchased a Kenmore gas dryer a week ago and had it delivered today. I had scheduled a plumber to do the hookup from the dryer to the gas outlet behind it using a kit that (on his recommendation) I should buy at Loews or Home Depot.

I've done some (water) plumbing work (although this is definitely different) and am generally fairly handy so I was a bit hesitant to hire a plumber for such a trivial job. When the plumber didn't show up as scheduled I decided to go ahead and do the hookup myself. Very easy - Kenmore dryer and I bought a GE gas dryer installation kit at Home Depot for ~ $20. It comes with a gas leak test solution - definitely use it! The instructions were adequate.

I should add that I have plenty of respect for licensed plumbers and I have no objection to hiring one, this was just one of those jobs that seemed too trivial (in fact one plumber I called said it was too small a job for him and another didn't return my call) .

Good luck.

Old 08-27-02, 07:10 AM
jim_dailey
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replies - I did it.

I found a gas dryer kit at a hardware store that was 48". I don't think any lesser length would have reached. The directions were decent and my Father-In-Law helped me. It was worth doing it myself since I learned something in the process so I'm happy. I did have to buy the leak test solution separately but that wasn't a big deal - I recommend using this as the directions stated because you don't want gas leaking in your house. I also had to buy a 3/8" nipple to connect my gas line to the hose which also helped with the length issue. That wasn't a big deal either. So, overall it wasn't difficult once I found a long enough connection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: