Oven Thermostat Question

Old 09-04-02, 03:35 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O'Keefe & Merrit over thermostat leak

I have a double oven O'Keefe & Merrit stove, the kind with the glass shelf that folds down. The stove is 40 inches wide and the oven doors have glass windows.

One of the oven valves(thermostat) has developed a peculiar leak. It leaks right up the hollow center shaft that the knob fits into. I'd like to know if this means it should be replaced, or if there is something that can be tightened to stop the leak.

John

Old 09-04-02, 09:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: John

When there is a leak in the location your describing, the thermostat must be replaced.

The stem has a seal to prevent leakage at that point of connection between the stem, the core and the valves body. when it leaks at this spot, there is no doityourself satisfactory means to safely correct it.

Service persons with knowledge of exactly how the thermostat is assembled and disassembled do not attempt this type of repair. Reasoning is safety, liability and cost factors.

Often times the parts are just too wornout to insure a safely completed task. It's best to replace the entire thermostat with a new part, Doing so will insure safety and proper operation.

The old removed thermostat can then be disassembled as a means of learning how they work. Great pass time forthe curious and the handy persons to learn.

Best and safest recommendation is to replace the thermostat.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 09-05-02, 03:58 PM
J
Where to buy an oven thermostat(valve)?

My O'Keefe & Merritt double oven stove needs a new or rebuilt oven thermostat(valve). A local store wants $295.00 for a rebuilt one...I'm looking for some different, and cheaper sources for this part. I'm in California, Los Angeles area, but I'd appreciate any locations, online, mailorder, or just a store/supplier in your area that has good quality parts and decent prices.

John

Old 09-05-02, 04:16 PM
J
Thanks for the information Tom. I'd like to ask one more question, which is...I'd like to remove the defective oven thermostat and plug up its threaded hole in the manifold so I can use the top burners until I find a replacement thermostat. I'm told that the valves for the top burners screw into an 1/8th inch pipe thread hole in the manifold, and the oven thermostat hole size is a little larger than that . Can you tell me what size plug I should look for to accomplish this temporary task.

Thanks, John Clemens

Old 09-05-02, 07:09 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

What part# are you looking for?

Some parts depots that may be able to help....

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&P=41

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi-bin/promoterange.cgi?affiliate_id=AppAid

http://www.repcoreplacementparts.com/
Self-proclaimed "world leaders in the remanufacturing of thermostats, safeties, flame switches and gas valves for the aftermarket appliance industry".

jeff.

Old 09-05-02, 09:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: John

Best method is to turn off the gas supply to the appliance, remove the thermostat and take the part with you to any local hardware store or appliance parts store.

In doing so, you can besure to obtain the correct plug thread size. The valves usually need a 1/4 inch but may vary with models.

I merged your two postings into one. This makes it easier to follow along while reading your topic and the replies offered.

If you need further assistance, kindly use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Tom_B
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: