Dryer Installation Question

Old 09-15-02, 05:27 PM
bobbyboy
Visiting Guest
Question Gas drier

k Hello, new to this forum,
Thinking about buying a Maytag Atlantis 8600 gas Drier and i would like some advice, 1st the drier will go where the electric one was, of course can i make the 208 into 120 volt also on venting , the intial vent is flex that goes about six feet up than crosses 1/4 the way across the attic in flex, they just had it laying up in the insulation i vented to the outside and installed a hood, However if i go to a Gas Drier i would think one might want to go to some kind of Rigid duct or find a shorter run, i beleive the furnace which as the water heater combined to the same duct is too small , any help is well appricated, Thank you

Old 09-15-02, 06:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello bobbyboy. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The first and most critical thought I got reading your question was the mentioning of combining vents.

Best and safest advice I could offer you on this matter is to advise you NOT to combined the dryer vent into any other existing vent of another appliance. Period.

Combining vents may be appealing for ease of work, time & materials needed etc. However, doing so would create a huge catastrophe in the making for detailed reasons far too complex to explain in any detail here.

Suffice it to say 2 words. Carbon Monoxides.

However your local codes require the dryer ducting vent to be installed and the materials used, would be the best and safest installation guides.

Flex ducting is not recommended by some manufacturers but this is not to say it cannot be used in all circumstances & installed safely. Check with the local building department and the local appliance parts dealer in your area.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Check the prior questions pertaining to dryers, within this forum, for other postings on this topic to obtain additional information.

TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 09-16-02, 04:23 PM
bobbyboy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom, i was looking at my old school books and i have a 97 gas code book, and will contact the bookstore for any changes .....BTW, WHAT DO YOU THINK Gas or electric just asking for an opinion.............Thank you,

BB

Old 09-16-02, 08:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: BB

What do I think? About what? Gas or electric dryer?
I must admit I cannot be impartial or non biased.
Always had a gas dryer and gas is less costly in my area.
It's also plentiful, available almost anywhere and I work in the natural gas industry. Now that has to make almost anyone biased...

Rumor has it gas is quicker to dry. Wouldn't know personally since I never used electric appliances of this type. Mechanically, dryers are all the same. They are simply machines that require maintenance and they all are prone to break down and wearout in time.

Regards,
Web Site Host & Moderator
Tom_B

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: