Dryer Doesn't Heat

Old 09-17-02, 03:33 PM
grandmajan
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer tumbles but doesn't dry

My Kenmore Dryer (approx 5 years old) tumbles, but doesn't heat. The drum continues to tumble even if the door is opened. The only way to stop it is to advance the timer control button. I've cleaned out the vent and lint trap and have vacuumed under the machine, as well. What should I try next? I'm handy, but NOT a repair man.

Old 09-17-02, 04:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello grandmajan. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Since the door safety switch does not turn off the dryer when the door is opened, it's defective. Unplug the appliance, remove the entire front door panel, which also means you'll have to raise the top panel, and remove the defective door safety switch.

In regards to the no dryer heat, there could be any one of several possible problems, all of which are contained in the recent postings on the same topic of dryers that do not heat. Reading those postings will contain the answers.

The most likely part is the glow coil. Replacing it often resolves the problem. If all the controls are set correctly on the front control panel and the dryer is running but the glow coil fails to glow, you located the defective part. The glow coil will need to be replaced.

To remove the coil, turn off the gas first. Unplug the dryer from the electrical wall plug. Then remove the entire gas valve as an assembly. The nut on the gas valve to remove it from the gas supply pipe turns counterclock wise.

Now remove the glow coil from the burner assembly. Take the entire assembled part to the local appliance retail parts store for a replacement coil.

Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Rest of the possibilities will be found in the recent postings and replies offered.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers instructional or owners manual & online web sites for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures, and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test parts and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Read the prior topics, within this forum, on this subject of dryers and the replies offered. I'm sure you'll locate the exact symptom and the correctional possibility.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: