Spark Ignition Problem

Old 09-19-02, 10:53 AM
E. Keim
Visiting Guest
Maytag range ignitor problem

I have a Maytag model CRG9700BAL gas stove. The two ignitors on the rear burners are not sparking. The switches appear to be working fine, since the two front ignitors spark even when the rear knobs are turned and I can light the rear burners manually. I took the burners off and switched the ignitors around with the same results. Are the front and rear ignitors operated by two separate modules, or has half of the module gone bad? Is that possible (probable?)?

Eric

Old 09-19-02, 11:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Eric and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

As with most everything else electronic or electrically operated, anything is likely or possible. Two spark module is not likely.

If the sparkers use to all spark regardless of which burner knob was turned and suddenly do not except for that one or two, the wires may have come loose somewhere or the sparkers themselves are dirty or defective.

If the working ones still sparks after being relocated, the other ones are defective, the gap is not adjusted correctly or the sparker is dirty. If the sparkers are the angular rod types, the clearance distances may be too far from the burners.

This condition may indicate they are worn too much or bent. Rebending them must be done carefully. The rods can break very easily.

Basically, the sparking module should be okay if one sparker continues to spark. The module can be removed and tested at the local retail appliances parts store. Spark modules are not repairable. The entire part must be replaced.

Replacement sparkers can be purchased there also. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, fuel type conversions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store.

If you require additional help and want to post any additional information, kindly use the REPLY button.

By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the other readers of this topic to follow the topic and allow me to post any further helpful advice and suggestions.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Old 09-19-02, 01:03 PM
E. Keim
Visiting Guest
Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear on all of that. My fault. What I meant to say is that I have taken the sparkers out of the rear burners and placed them into the front burners and likewise, I placed the sparkers from the front burners ( both of which I know are working) into the back burners. Even with the switch, only the front burners will spark and ignite, so I know it's not the sparkers, it's something that provides electricity to the sparkers on both of the rear burners, whether that be in the wiring or in the spark module. And, like before, if I turn on the knobs to the rear burners, I get gas flowing to rear burners, but only spark to the two front burners.

Eric

Old 09-19-02, 02:53 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Several More Possibilities

Hello: Eric

I read and fully understand your question . Like I stated, anything is possible. Defective switches, two spark mods and or defective connections, etc etc. There may not be any definate or positively sure reason.

Since you have alreay relcocate the sparkers/burners to no avail, more testing, research or thought has to be applied.

If switching the burners around does not resolve the problem, then there could be another spark module, two fuses, a defective connection somewhere, etc.

All this is what any professional has to do to determine exactly what the problem is and how to correct it in one service call. And one of the many reasons, like all professionals, they can charge the fees they do.

You may need to determine if there is electrical current going to the sparkers which do not work. The reasoning here is logical since rotating the front burners to the back locations does not resolve the problem.

Try testing for current out of the switch, thru the wires and to the connection point may reveal that current is not passing thru the wires, at the switches and or at the connection points.

Another possibility could be the burners are not grounding when in the rear postions, etc etc etc. Lots of possibilites.

Good Luck,
Tom_B

Old 09-19-02, 07:49 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi all,

My 6 cents ( darn Canadian dollar! ) worth....

http://www.applianceaid.com/12001596.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/help_spark_moduals.html

Short and sweet...like me

jeff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: