We just recently bought a villa that had access to gas and I have
never had gas appliances. I have a GE XL44 gas range that has
been used for about four years. This range is equipped with the
electric ignition and I had no problems until moving it to do
wallpaper behind the range. The next time I used it, it lite without
any problem but did not stay lite for long. I have removed the
burner ignition screw and find that the part will be somewhere
around $65 and don't know that will correct the problem. Could
you please help me determine if I'm headed in the right direction?
Thank you!

Old 09-30-02, 05:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello jgroft and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Appliance movment can cause vibrations that damage electric igniters. The carbon material is old & brittle from time and useage and should be replaced.

The easiest and least expensive part to attempt a repair would be replacement of the ignitor. I would also suggest checking for any fuses that may be located.

Fuses are another fragile part that may be damaged from movement. Check for loose wires and or connections at terminal connections etc.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassemble methods, repair procedures, and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test parts and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: