Gas or Electric?

Old 10-06-02, 03:49 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gas or Electric?

Hi,
I own a three family home in mass.Iam concidering putting in a washer/dryer in the cellar (Coin operated).
Wich is cheaper to run,town gas or electric dryers?It is to be hooked up to a "House" utility,so I will be paying?
Also,what is most common in the above sitiuation,using cold water for the wash,or adding a water heater (wich I pay for).
Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 10-06-02, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Gas is by far cheaper

In most areas, gas is 1/2 the cost of electric.
Rates vary by area.
If you get a water heater use gas

Old 10-06-02, 07:10 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi all,

My opinion only!

Gas is cheaper...but no longer 1/2 the cost of electric with the resent gas increases....but, I'd still go gas dryer and gas water heater over electric. Gas water heaters recover much water than electric ones do if/when the heater runs out of hot water.

Cost of install....costs more to install gas dryer and gas water heater....but the over all savings over the years helps to pay for this.

Cold water washes "can" be trouble!! Warm wash, cold rince is more economical.

Gas is more expensive to purchase, and more doityourselfer's will repair an electric dryer themselves than would on a gas dryer.

Gas dryer must have metal venting.

jeff.

Old 10-06-02, 09:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up In My Opinion

Hello: cschroth1

Gas water heaters are always a better choice for quickier water temp recoveries and less energy costs. Down sides are installation locations, venting requirements to meet codes and initial installation costs. Dryers share some of the same.

The choices can be based upon what energy source or sources are already existing for the existing water heating, cooking and home heating.

If gas is supplied for these functions, adding to the load may not be all that costly. If electric is current the primary energy source, installation of gas may be initially more costly. Contact gas pipe plumbing contractors in your area for estimates.

In the aspects of income property, the owner pays nothing. The costs are part of the business expenses and are covered over the long term in the rents.

If the owner resides in one unit, all of the costs can be shared by all three units or all the costs can be collected in rents from the other two units and the owner still pays nothing or far less.

If providing washers and dryers adds to the value of the property, attracts and keeps tennants longer, rents can be raised to cover the costs, etc, it's value added and not money spent.

Coin operated machinery can be obtained by commerical vendors. Doing so puts the burden for machine installation and maintenance on the vendor, while you share in the profits collected to cover costs.

That's a win-win situation without the headaches.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: