dryer too big to fit

Old 10-11-02, 10:04 AM
eyeski
Visiting Guest
Unhappy dryer too big to fit

I purchased a Kenmore washer and Dryer, both measuring less than the 28" my door would allow to fit through. Unfortunately, I didn't measure the wall next to the stairs going down into the basement, which apparently will not allow anything larger than 24" to pass. The delivery man said Maytag has a dryer that "breaks down" (disassembles) to 23" to allow it to fit through. Does anyone out there have any information or ideas about what I can do or where I can look for something that will fit (that is not a mini-washer). Thanks for any ideas.

Old 10-11-02, 09:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello eyeski. Hello ??????. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Not sure I fully understand which door your referring to. A people walk through doorway with a door? As in a doorway between rooms? Or the doors on the laundry closet?

If the one your referring to is a people walk thru doorway, find another or use another entrance. Remove the door from the door frame.

Appliances can be turned mutiple ways to allow access. Appliances fit thru all standard width doorways. There are times the doors must be removed unless the doorway isn't standard width?

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
Tom_B
TCB4U2B2B....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliances Diagnostic Service Technician.

Old 10-11-02, 09:35 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi all,

**which apparently will not allow anything larger than 24" to pass. The delivery man said Maytag has a dryer that "breaks down" (disassembles) to 23" to allow it to fit through.**

We run into this from time in the older parts of town where a doorway or stairway is too narrow to fit a washer or dryer down/through.

We usually go the Maytag route...we take them apart...bring down/in the parts and re-assemble in the basement....Maytag is one of the better washer and dryers to so this too! I have also done the odd Frigidaire and GE washer/dryer.

There are dryers out there less than 24" But most ( all? ) will be mid size ( not full size ) and many are Europeon style = BIG$$$

jeff.

Old 10-16-02, 11:29 AM
eyeski
Visiting Guest
Smile thanks jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

I went the Maytag route and am waiting for delivery and re-assembly. Thanks for the tip!!

Eyeski

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: