Heating

Old 10-15-02, 09:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Heating

My question is on home heating. I know nothing about heating.I just bought a new home approx 1600 sq ft, i find that I can heat the whole house with my firelplace (in main floor family room), faster that the furnace can heat it.
1.Which one uses more gas the fireplace or the furnace?
2. When using the furnace, should the FAN also be turned on, or just the heat?

3. how does the Fresh air intake /output work? I have 4 fresh air vents on the walls. Does the FAN or the Furnace push that?

Old 10-15-02, 03:01 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best advice here is for you to call a good heating contractor or your local utility and ask to have your system winterized. When the service person comes, have a pad and pencil with you. You are going to ask him several questions. Start with safety, ask where are certain things located.

1. Emergency electrical shut off.

2. Gas cut off valves for all gas appliances and main cut off. What position is off and which is on. Any special tools to open or close valves needed. Even ask him if he can demonstrate it for you. Better yet, you do it while he is there to guide you.

3. Ask about maintenance for all gas appliances. What are required for a service person to do and what a homeowner should do. Like air filters, which way they are installed, how often do you have to change them.

4. Ask about the thermostat. Are there switches on it and what do they do?

5. Ask him what he thinks you can do to your system to conserve energy.

The fee they are going to charge for this service is well worth it.

Old 10-15-02, 03:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello lady. Welcome to our Heating and Cooling forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

In most instances the furnace uses less fuel. It will also more evenly heat the entire home and must be in good working order to obtain maximum efficiency.

Follow the sound advice of resercon.

Also, leave the thermostat in the "auto" position.

Check the air filter and replace if in need or doubt about it's condition or cleanlyness. The filter can be located either in the intake vent or inside the fan blowers compartment.

The vents {registers} blowing air out are the warm air registers. There should be one per room based on the square footage you stated.

There should be at least one intake return vent. Most likely and ideally, the intake return air vent will be floor level and centally located. Yours may be in a hallway and may be in the ceiling of the hallway.

Several other resident heating and cooling professionals on this type of heating system, replying within this forum, could have additional helpful information, suggestions, advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: