Pilot Problems

Old 10-16-02, 02:31 PM
iampep11
Visiting Guest
Question gas furnace

my pilot light on my furnace went out. I tried to relight it. The pilot will come on. I hold it for 45 sec to 1 1/2 min. When i slowly release the pilot button to turn to on position the pilot goes out. The thermostat is off. Can anyone help me?????

Old 10-16-02, 03:48 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an expert here, but you probably need a new thermo couple.

Old 10-16-02, 04:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello iampep11. Welcome to Gas Appliances forum.

I fully agree with Klute. I would always recommend replacing the most likely and least expense part first.

The first part to suspect would be the thermocouple. Replace that part first. Install the new one exactly as you see the current part installed.

Use care screwing in the new thermocouple to avoid cross-threading the threads. Finger start the threads first. Do not overtighten the nut either. Just snug it up.

Additional Info:
If you presently have an all BLUE pilot flame at the pilot assembly that encircles the existing tip of the thermocouple, replace the thermocouple with a new one first and retry lighting the pilot.

If replacing the thermocouple does not correct the problem of the pilot flame not remaining on, the next most likely part to suspect as being defective is the magneto coil.

The only differences between thermocouples is their lengths. Be sure to purchase one of the same length as the existing one. Replacements are available at all hardware stores.

The package contains a various assortment of holding clips and comes packaged with complete installation instructions. Closely follow all enclosed installation instructions and do not over tighten the threaded nut end upon installation.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart...Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient.....
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-20-02 at 04:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: