Oven Fault Code

Old 10-16-02, 08:48 PM
razzle88
Visiting Guest
Magic Chef Self Cleaning, etc

Hi,
I have a 10 yr old Magic Chef Gas Range Model # 3488VRV, Serial # 08C305981637 with some quirky things happening. The
infamous F1 code started about 14-18 months ago, so I replaced the panel w/ the touch pad. All was fine, but it has since started back up w/ the the F1. Also, I just replaced the door lock switch and tried the self cleaning feature. The timer starts and sometimes the oven gets hot for about 3 minutes and then it kicks off and displays the current clock time. The final quirk is that the sealed burners on the right light, but the left ones don't. When I try to light the left side, the gas valve opens fine, but the spark occurs on the right hand side burners.
Any suggestions, and is it even worth it to make repairs or should the repair money go to a new range?

Thanks for all of the help and I have already learned some great tips from this forum!

Jeff

Old 10-16-02, 09:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello Jeff and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Chances are the computerized control board is defective once again. Try unplugging the appliance for several hours and then plug it back in. Power failures can cause error codes. It may reset but not likely.

If this fails to resolve the problem, remove the board and take it to the local appliance parts store. Retail parts dealers can help determine what the possible problem may be.

Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will also help to determine the possible problem causes. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

In regards to the top burner sparkers not sparking on one side, check there cleaniness, be sure they are connected to the burners.

It's possible the sparkers are simply burned out or there is a connection problem. There may be two seperate spark modules that are electrically connected together. One working while the other not. Check for fuses at or near the spark modules.

Suggestion:
Read the manufacturers instructional or owners manual & online web sites for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Read the prior topics, within this forum & in the electric appliances forum on this subject of error and fault codes and the replies offered. I'm sure you'll locate the exact correctional possibility.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: