Gas Furnace wont start

Old 10-17-02, 05:23 PM
wz2jrz
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Gas Furnace wont start

When thermostat is raised up to trigger heating, the furnace gives a click noise and then sound of gas flowing is heard. After 2 to 4 seconds, the gas flow noise then stops. Furnace doesnt start. Later after couple of minutes or so, it tries again and aborts.

The gas furnace is Arcoaire (13 yrs old) and instructions on it says that it has an automatic ignition system and so there is no need to manually lit the pilot light.

I followed their instructions of lowering the thermostat level, turning the gas valve off and waiting 5 minutes before turning everything on. No luck though.

any quick help on this will be highly appreciated.

Old 10-17-02, 05:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sounds like

ignition system failure, which do you have, spark or hot surface ignition? if it is hot surface, a glowing quartz element, see if it is getting voltage if possible. if spark, check "spark plug wire" for good contact atboth ends, let us know what you have.

Old 10-19-02, 09:15 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I just had a similar problem with my furnace. Once the furnace cycles through Purge-ignition - and gas flow on, the flame sensor must confirm the flame is there or the gas valve will shut the system down.
I had a crust of gas byproducts on my sensor which my heating contractor told me to wipe off - gently - with fine steel wool. The job took only a few minutes and cured the problem.
The flame sensor looks like a steel rod with a wire hooked to one end. The rod is in front of one of your burners and must "see" the flame before it will allow the heat cycle to continue .
Good luck.

Old 10-19-02, 09:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Additional Possible Problems & Solutions

Hello wz2jrz. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Both prior replies by hvac4u & goldstar are possible and the problem corrections are both highly accurate for the type of furnace problem your describing.

All wire terminal connection contacts must be rust and or corrsion free, even if such isn't visable or does not appear to be corroded.

Cleaning the flame sensors element end usually resolves the problem, providing the pilot flame light and burns cleanly and hot. No yellow if the sensor is heated by the pilots flame.

If the unit has a hot surface glow ignitor and it fails to glow or fails to remain on to lite the burners, it may be defective or the solenoid in the gas valve is defective.

On some models of furnaces, the pilots flame will be heating this element directly. Cleaning this sensor with fine steel wool or lite weight sanding paper often corrects the problem as stated.

Defective Solenoids:
The solenoids are on top or inside the body of the gas valve body. Solenoids also supply voltage to a glow coil {if applicable}gas to the pilot flame {if applicable} main burner gas and or other parts and componets of the entire electrical loop.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION:
Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve!
This is a NON repairable item!

Any one of several safety devices could be the cause of the problem too. The power venting fan and or one of it's componets or safety devices could be effecting the furnace condition you described.

The ideal method for determining if either the solenoids, gas valve parts or other componets are defective, is to remove and take the entire gas valve assembly and or componets to the local retail appliance parts store or heating appliance dealers retail store and have the entire assembly and or parts tested.

CONCERNS:
Electronically operated and controlled appliances often require several tests on several componets to determine the exact cause of a problem. The procedures and methods vary and at times can become rather complexing.

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts. However, bare in mind that neither of these tests will provide positive proof the part is actually functioning correctly and as intended. Therefore, do not rely solely upon either test.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person test it or check it. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Regards & Good Luck
Tom_Bart....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Fast.....Fair.....Friendly & Highly Efficient Services.....
Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-20-02 at 01:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: