Gas Dryer Installation

Old 10-21-02, 10:50 AM
rideafatty
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer Installation

I just bought a used gas washer and dryer and would like to install it myself. I would like to know the parts and procedures for installation. Can you help me?

Old 10-21-02, 07:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello rideafatty. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Since your planning to install the machine yourself, dryer installation kits are available at all hardware stores.

You'll need to purchase the 1/2 inch by 3/8 inch matching shutoff valve seperately. The installation kit does not come with the required shut off valve.

You'll need to turn of the main gas supply at the meter first if the existing gas supply pipe either has a cap installed on it or the incorrect size existing shutoff valve.

You'll need pipe wrenches to remove the cap on the gas pipe coming out from the wall or to hold the pipe from turning while removing the incorrect size shut off valve or pipe cap.

You'll also need a 10 or 12 inch adjustable wrench, pipe thread lube and sealant to apply to the pipe threads. Purchase and connect the exhaust vent solid or flexible tubing if it's not already installed from a prior dryer.

Directions for installing the gas connection parts should be enclosed with the installation kit.

You might also contact your gas supplier. Many gas utilities install newly purchased free standing appliances such as dryers and stoves for a nominal fee.

Doing the installation of the shut-off valve with the gas on, requires all the needed tools and prep work be done first, prior to removing that cap.

The installation can and often is done this way by professionals and some do-it-yourselfers with piping & connection experiences. If your not sure you can accomplish the task with the gas on, by all means turn it off first or hire a professional.

Read the prior questions on this topic of dryer connections for additional information etc. One was recently posted and there are numerous others within the prior months etc.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years and or during any dryer replacement installation, maintenance and or repairs.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Tom_Bartco....."Fast.....Fair.....Friendly & Highly Proficient".....
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: