Gas Furnace Pilot Light

Old 10-25-02, 01:57 PM
edg
Visiting Guest
Gas Furnace Pilot Light

I have a Carrier 58GFA gas furnace in which the pilot light will not light at all. I tried cleaning the pilot tube but cannot get anything all the way through due to a metal insert (perhaps a flow restricter?). I removed the pilot / thermocouple assembly and do not get any airflow when I blow through the gas tube to the pilot. Is this normal? If so, any suggestions?

Old 10-27-02, 06:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello edg. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Remove the orifice and hold it up to a bright light. Light should readily pass thru it. If not, the opening must be cleared out.

DO NOT enlarge the tiny hole or slot! Doing so will extremely enlarge the pilots flame size rendering it useless as a hot heat source to keep the safety element properly heated.

While the pilot tubing is removed, depress the pilot lighting control button or lever. You need to verify that gas is positively coming out of the control valve.

If no gas comes out of the gas valve while the pilot button is depressed in the normal pilot lightly method, then it can most likely be assumed that the gas valve is defective. Gas valves are a non repairable part. Replacement is the only solution.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info will help to determine other possible problem causes.

Read the RECENT postings within this forum on this topic and the replies offered. Doing so will provide additional information.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 10-28-02, 06:59 AM
edg
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. I soaked the pilot assembly in alcohol and used a fine needle to clear out the gunk from the orifice. It works like a champ now.

Old 10-28-02, 05:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Success Story

We LOVE To Hear Success Stories!.......

Hello edg

On behalf of myself and anyone else who contributes helpful advice in my "Gas Appliances" forum, I'd like to express thanks to you for taking your valuable time to reply back in the forum.

Glad you success correcting the problem, inclued the correctional method in your reply and the successful results.

Regards and Thanks
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: