Water Heater Problem

Old 10-27-02, 06:56 AM
bm23bass
Visiting Guest
propane hot water heater

I have a propane hot water heater that the pilot light keeps going out on. I have replaced the thermocoupler several times, after which the pilot works fine for a couple of months and then I have to replace the thermocoupler again. I have done this about six times now. Is there something else that could be wrong? Why does the thermocoupler need replaced every couple of months?

Old 10-27-02, 08:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello bm23bass. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Much more to this problem then simply a thermocouple burning out this often. Not likely a thermocouple problem. Could be a defective magneto in the gas and temperature control valve.

Looks for signs of rust and or soot in the firebox. Both are possible depending upon the tanks age. Could be a gas pressure problem or air flow problem. Several other possibilities with either the tank itself, it's location, condition etc etc.

Also possible the thermostat is defective and the automatic safety is doing it's job and shutting the burner off as intended.

Inquire at the local plumbing supply store and post this exact question in our plumbing topic. Possible our resident plumber 2000 has additional helpful advice, suggestions and solutions.

Old 10-27-02, 11:44 PM
bm23bass
Visiting Guest
propane water heater

Thanks Tom. I posted this question in plumbing like you advised. I did replace the thermocouple today, and after I finally got it to stay lit, it seems O.K. for now. I have alot of rust in my water, which I use rust salt pellets in my water softener so maybe there is rust in the tank. We moved in here in 95 and I don't know how long the hot water tank was here before that. I think I will purchase a new water heater next time it goes out if not before. If this problem persists in a new tank, I'll know it's probably location or a gas problem. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: