Gas heater question

Old 10-29-02, 07:37 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas heater question

Hello all. I bought my house a couple of months ago now. Heater and central air not working.

I finally called the gas company out to check out the heater. Everything looked ok to him, and he jumped two pins and told me the thermostat was bad.

I went to home depot today and bought and installed a nice new electronic thermostat

Mission successful.

The heater finally works now. I don't think it is a heater with a pilot, because when you turn it on, it has an ignitor.

Anyway, It works, except that it will come on for a minute and a half or so, then turn off, then come on again for a minute and a half or so. It continues this process until it gets to the desired temp.

I know the gas guy showed me and said it has to heat this doodad until it gets to this temp, which actuates the fan motor. WHen I pull the lid--I can see/hear a big flame heating the unit.

Is my heater working normally, or should the fan come on and stay on until it gets to the desired temp?

If it is not working properly, what can I do to fix it...Thanks a lot guys, Jeremy

Old 10-29-02, 08:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Jeremy. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The two pins the service person jumped bypasses the thermostat. In doing so it was determined the thermostat was infact the cause of the orginal problem of the heater not working and it was the proper method in determining the cause.

The part that is currently causing the cycling of the fan blower motor is most likely the fan temperature switch. The switch is temperature sensitive and activates the blower when the internal firebox reaches a preset temp.

If the switch is defective or the incorrect type it can cause the fan to cycle on and off. Try running the unit without the thermostat. Remove the thermostat from the wall and connect only the red and white wires and note the functions of the heater.

If the heater functions normally and the fan does not cycle on and off, the thermostat is the problem. If the heat continues to operate in the same manner, cycling on and off, there is another problem. Post back the results for additional information.

Kindly post more detailed specific info about the heater.

The fan should not cycle on and off. The fan should remain on once activated and remain on until the house reaches the set temp and for several minutes after the burners turn off.

Use the REPLY button to add the additional information. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-09-02, 03:33 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your prompt-excellent advice!! Sorry it took me so long to do this.

I crossed the red and white wires. The heater came on, but acted exactly the same, would come on for a minute, shut off, then come on again (you can hear the fire in the furnace the hole time) so it looks as though my fan temperature switch is bad afterall.

How easy is this to replace?? Where can I find it?

The sticker on the heater says goodman manufacturing corp
and the model is gux040-2

thanks!!

Old 11-10-02, 07:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Jeremy

To locate the switch, first unplug the entire heating unit. No electrical power to the heater should be availble.

Next, follow the fan motors electrical wires to the fan switch. Removing the wires attached to it is the next step. Be positive there isn't any electrical power to the heat.

Remove the wires, then remove the switch. Replace it with an exact duplicate available from the local heating appliance or gas appliances aprts dealer. Except no subsitute as a replacement.

Buy OEM parts and NOT Generic or Universal, one size fits all, replacement parts. The money saved buying generic no brand name parts usually costs more in time, labor and problems.

I always suggest buying the OEM specific part because I believe the part will last longer, function better during it's normal service life expectancy, most likely will fit and install correctly than any non OEM or generic part.

Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: