TonyZaradich
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Whirlpool/Kenmore 80 Series Dryer not staying hot enough to dry

Hi,

I have a Whirlpool/Kenmore 80 Series Dryer with the following stats:

Model #: 110-70812990
Serial #: MK3624475
Type#: DWSK-NAT-1206006FM22

Problem: It seems that the dryer just shuts off the gas supply to the dryer without it getting too hot. Everything seems to be working the way it should: motor is fine, venting is good, the igniter turns on and there is actually flame for about 1-1.5 minutes. I've replaced parts (listed a little later), but still get the same results.

Observations: I've noticed that the igniter coil (?) will glow around every 55-60 seconds. On timing this, the flame came on around every 5 minutes and shut off after a little over a minute of being on.

Parts replaced:
Name Number
Thermal Fuse 3392519
Thermostat, Int. Bias 3387134
Radiant Sensor 338906
Thermostat, 205degF (96degC) 3403140

Any ideas on what else I can check or replace to solve this problem? There is one sensor that I couldn't replace because the parts store didn't have it in stock; it's the Sensor Pad (#3976479)

Thanks for any help,
Tony Zaradich

Old 11-01-02, 05:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Solenoids, Gas Valve, Restricted Vent or Flame Sensor

Hello Tony. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I know you checked the vent but not sure if the exhaust hoods flapper is working. Check that. If you read the other questions on dryers with this problem, I often suggest drying a load of clothes with the entire venting system disconnected from the machine.

Doing so will determine if the vent is still plugged or restricted. If the clothes dry normally, the vent is the problem. If not, most likely I suggestion the check or replacing the solenoids coils next.

Since I do not see those parts listed in your posting, it's possible one of them is defective. They are replaced in pairs and often times resolve the exact problem you are describing.

Check the prior questions pertaining to dryers, within this forum, to obtain additional information. These prior postings and any or all the replies offered within them which will contain almost all the required information needed.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using this method moves the topic back up the list automatically.

Old 11-02-02, 06:56 AM
TonyZaradich
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help, Tom. I ran a load of clothes through with the venting off and that REALLY seemed to help out. They were almost dry after a 60min or so drying cycle. I'm going to try to replace the venting system (it's an older flexible, corrugated one that I thought was okay) with a rigid one. I'm also going to replace those 2 coils and see if that helps.

Great website and great response time!

Old 11-02-02, 07:23 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi all,

Parts help ( if needed ) for those coils......

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi-bin/promote-detail.cgi?affiliate_id=AppAid&item=279834&brand=WPL

jeff.

Old 11-08-02, 06:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Coils

The coils were the problem on MY dryer (same symptoms)

Old 11-09-02, 08:39 AM
TonyZaradich
Visiting Guest
Yeah...I think it was my coils also. I replaced the coils (about 13 bucks at the local Sears service center) and replaced the vent system (which was old anyway). After doing those two things, the dryer works like new again!

Old 11-09-02, 08:42 AM
TonyZaradich
Visiting Guest
I guess if I just thought it through a little I would have figured out it was the coils. If everything was working the way it was supposed to but the gas would shut off prematurely that should indicate the coils aren't energizing to keep the valve open?

Anyway, I'm glad (so's the wife) that it's working again. Thanks for the help and great suggestions.

Great forum!

Old 11-09-02, 12:32 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thankx all for the updates!!

**I'm glad (so's the wife) that it's working again.**

If "mama" isn't happy......nobody is happy!! LOL!!

jeff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: