Proper Gas Dryer Hookup?

Old 11-05-02, 10:55 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Proper Gas Dryer Hookup?

I recently replaced my electric clothes dryer with a gas one. I had the gas pipes already present when I had had a plumber run them years ago. I'm fairly handy but my wife (& to some extent myself) did not wish me to make the gas hookup because it involved dealing with "gas" & with small kids in the house,etc we felt it wiser to have a professional do it to be safe, even though all it entailed was connecting flexible metal tubing from the dryer to the gas pipe & changing the old vent to new metal vent.

Well the installers from Sears (where I purchased the dryer) came & made the connections but my concern is this. He did not leak test the new connections between the gas pipe/flexible tubing/dryer. When I asked him several times to do it he replied it was not necessary because he used pipe joint compound & to "trust me". Needless to say I don't trust him & even though he used the joint compound I feel I should leak test it to be safe. I'm assuming soapy water & checking for bubbles will be adequate?

The next area of concern to me is that in the installation guide they recommended only using metal vent tubing with the gas dryer. They said not to use foil tubing. Well when they replaced my old tubing they used metal for most of it but in one section they used flexible aluminum - foil looking - tubing. Again I asked him if it was alright to use with gas & he told me it was. Is this true? Is this flexible aluminum tubing the same as foil tubing?

I appreciate any feedback.

Old 11-05-02, 04:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The flex connectors from the gas valve to the dryer should not use any pipe dope at all. These are machined surfaces and no sealant (pipe dope, teflon tape, etc...) is recommended by any approved manufacturer.
Soap solution is just fine for a leak test, be sure to wash off all residue of soap when done.
Should be metal duct with metal elbows. I have seen flex duct put in applications but I have never used it.

Sears usually contracts out work to a local plumbing company. You may or may not have had an actual plumber, but a plumbing technician. This term is used to get around local ordinances requiring a plumber. I'd call Sear's back and ask them who their local master plumber is and then contact him. All work is done under his license and he/she should be more than happy to answer any question you have.

Old 11-05-02, 05:01 PM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I definitely don't think they were plumbers. They were youngish, one didn't even speak English (No offense intended). Pleasant enough - I just don't think they did it the "proper" way. It's functional & probably Okay but not Right. I have to speak to the manager @ Sears tomorrow. I will use your suggestion. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: