Fuel Conversion Question

Old 11-07-02, 09:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question ng to lp on an old wedgewood stove

I want to know if someone knows how to convert an antique wedgewood stove. I can't seem to find anybody that knows if there is an orifice in this stove. Right now I hooked the bbq gas tank to it but you can't control the oven it's either blow torch or off. The burners work but they do burn rather a high flame. I would really appreciate some help.
Old 11-08-02, 05:29 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Hoale. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

If the stove is currently set up to burn natural gas and currently connected to propane, the burners would burn as you stated because the burner orifices are too large.

Natural gas orifices have holes sized for natural gas, which are too large. To convert the stove to propane, the orifices must be either replaced or turned inwards to reduce the hole size.

On most older stoves the orifices are adjustable while on some they are not. The orifices are those brass or bronze hexnuts onto which the burner tubes are set. There is also adjustable air shutters on each burner tube at all the burners.

To make the conversion, the first thing you have to know is what the burners are rated at. Once you have this information, write down the stoves information and visit the local retail appliance parts store for replacement parts.

Inside or on the stove somewhere is a plate containing all the required information. The appliance stores counter service person will be able to determine orifice sizes required.

Another item that will need attention, if the appliance has one, is the gas regulator. If the existing regulator isn't convertable between natural gas and propane, the part will also need to be replaced. Failure to convert or replace the regulator for the type of gas used will create burner operational problem, etc.

Another item the has to be set correctly is the ovens thermostat. Most of these have a set screw on the body of the thermostat near the stem behind the temp knob. The screw will be labled...N for natural and...P for propane. Turn the set screw to the type of fuel used.

In some cases the orifices can be opened or closed to adjust the burners flame size but not always. Some are non adjustable. They turn but do nothing. In those cases, replacements are needed.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Read the prior postings on this fuel conversion topic, within this forum and the replies offered within them. You'll find instructions to make the conversion already in them.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: