Dryer Heating Problems

Old 11-13-02, 01:03 PM
NOS-PORT
Visiting Guest
Question Gas Dryer - No Heat Or Too Much Heat...

WE HAVE A AMANA MOD#LGA30AL GAS DRYER WHEN YOU START THE MACHINE IT WORKS JUST FINE GLOWS FIRES BURNS FOR 5 TO 10 MIN THEN IT WILL NOT LIGHT AGAIN ONLY GLOWS AND CLICKS NO GAS TURN OFF MACHINE WAIT 3 TO 5 MIN AND IT WORKS AGAIN ON ON THE SAME WAY. THEN NEXT USE IT WILL GLOW LIGHT BURN AND BURN AND WILL STAY BURNING TIL MACHINE SHUTS OFF NO HAPPY MIDDLE GROUND PLEASE HELP WE CLEANED OUT VENTS BUT NO HELP...

Old 11-13-02, 07:49 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Nos-Port. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Most likely the timer is the problem. Sporatic conditions are often difficult to diagnose.

If the machine is drying the clothes correctly and in a reasonable time frame, there may not be any problem. Burner flames cycling on and off is normal. Doing so indicates the thermostat is sensing temperature and controlling the amount of heat.

THER MAY NOT BE ANY NEED FOR MIDDLE GROUND.

Old 11-14-02, 04:40 AM
NOS-PORT
Visiting Guest
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY THE DRYER DOS NOT DRY THE CLOTHES WHEN IT TURNS ON THE FRIST TIME ONLY HEAT ON ONCE THEM NO HEAT REST OF CYCLE ONLY IF YOU RESTART MACH BUT ONLY HEAT ONCE IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WANTS TO HEAT BUT ONLY CLICKING REST OF CYCLE THEN NEXT DAY OR SO MACH LIGHTS HEATS BUT FLAME STAYS ON THE HOLE TIME NO CLICKING LIKE IT WANTS TO TURN OFF SO WET CLOTHES OR VARY HOT COULD IT BE JUST THE CONTROLS OR POS THE GAS VALVE... AFRAID IT WILL BURN HOUSE DOWN IF NOT WATCHED !!!!!

Old 11-14-02, 06:31 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: NOS-PORT

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.
THE DRYER DOS NOT DRY THE CLOTHES WHEN IT TURNS ON THE FRIST TIME."

This statement above, as I read it, is the exact opposite posted in the first question. That being the case, the ignitor may be weak or the solenoids, which are located on top of the gas valve, are most likely defective.

"ONLY HEAT ON ONCE THEM NO HEAT REST OF CYCLE."

This problem description, once again, indicates defective solenoids, restricted exhaust vent, defective flame sensor, worn out or defective timer. Also possible the moisture sensor may be defective as well as possibly the temperature sensor.
"ONLY IF YOU RESTART MACH BUT ONLY HEAT ONCE."

Possibly same problem. See the above reply problem description.

"IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WANTS TO HEAT BUT ONLY CLICKING REST OF CYCLE THEN NEXT DAY OR SO MACH LIGHTS HEATS BUT FLAME STAYS ON THE HOLE TIME NO CLICKING LIKE IT WANTS TO TURN OFF SO WET CLOTHES OR VARY HOT COULD IT BE JUST THE CONTROLS OR POS THE GAS VALVE... AFRAID IT WILL BURN HOUSE DOWN IF NOT WATCHED !!!!!"

In determining the exact problem, it is not always possible to be positively sure which exact part could be causing the problem.
Which I think your expecting me to do.

You'll have to do some part testings. I cannot specifically always be correct which part is the problem based soley upon a written problem description posted here.

I will suggest that you remove the gas valve as an entire assembly and take it to the local appliance part store and have it tested. Same applies to the flame sensor and timer.

Sorry I cannot help you further or specifically. Read the other posted question pertaining to dryer problems. Doing so will provide you with plenty of other problem possibilities and solutions.

If, in your personal determination, the dryer is not operating safely, do not continue to use it. Seek professional service immediately.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the exact parts used in the model assembly line run and possible problem causes.

Tips:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several electrical parts. However, I do not recommend relying solely on either test to determine if any electrical or electronic part or parts are causing the problem. The idea is not to replace costly parts until the defective one is positively found.

The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential problems and have the local appliance parts store person test it or check it. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years and or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator & Web Site Host
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Moderators Note:
Original reply by 'NOS-PORT' left in caps and quote marks added. Reply by 'NOS-PORT' edited for clarity only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: