Oven stuck on broiler

Old 11-17-02, 03:15 PM
mtgrata
Visiting Guest
Oven stuck on broiler

I have a Magic Chef non-self cleaning oven (propane). It came with the house I bought, I'm guessing it's about 15-20 years old. For the first few weeks we used the oven it worked fine, but after my wife used the broiler for the first time, the broiler is stuck on. You can turn the oven on, but the broiler kicks on at any temperature. I can here the thermostat "click" when the oven reaches the set temperature on the knob, but the broiler keeps running. As an added note - the house was vacant and the stove un-used for five years, the house DID freeze- just in case this would have effected something.
I consider myself handy around the house, I can rebuild a cars engine, but gas appliance are not my specialty. Could you please tell me how to trouble shoot this problem, and any possible fixes?
Thanks,
Matt

Old 11-17-02, 05:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Matt and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Unique problem not often encountered on the web site in my topic. Not glad you're having this problem. The problem does need to addressed. There could be anyone of several possibilities.
The thermostat may have an externally mounted tiny micro contact switch attached to it. When the temperature knob is turned to the broiler position the switch contacts are closed.

In doing so the contacts direct current to the broilers gas valve and it's ignitor. This externally mounted micro switch only gets current when the temp knob is turned to broil.

The gas valve suppling gas to the oven and one gas valve for the broiler allows independent operations. The only difference is which way current gets directed. The external switch on the temp knob may allow current to flow to a seperate selection switch.

Which means the seperate selection switch may be stuck closed. There may be a seperate selection switch for each operation, broiler and or oven operation on your appliance.

The determining fact is to locate a closed contact that is not supposed to be close. Follow the wires from the broilers gas valve to determine where they lead and to which part they are connected to.

When the oven selection option is selected, no current or continuity should be at the broilers gas valve nor at the selection switch contact terminals for the broiler.

Opposite for the broiler selection option. Knowing where current is going and where it shouldn't be going is the key to determining where the problem lies.

In this case, since the house is new to you, the appliance may have been incorrectly repaired prior without disclosing that tiny factoid to you, the new buyer.

The contact was manually opened by someone knowing if used just once again it would not re open automatically again...

The new found joys of preoccupied home ownership...

Caution:
Be sure to unplug the appliance before making any non electrical tests or mechanical repairs.

Suggestions:
An excellent source for replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test parts and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance or care to post the results of this repair, use the REPLY button. Doing so moves the topic to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Tom_B. Gas Appliances Forum Moderator.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: