Dryer runs - no heat

Old 11-20-02, 10:42 AM
nyymm
Visiting Guest
Dryer runs - no heat

I have a Sears Kenmore "80 Series" Gas Dryer (model No. 77832795?) about 4-5 years old. The dryer runs but there is no heat. I've taken the front and back of the dryer off and have tested a few of the parts for continuity. They all seem to check out ok. I've read about looking at the igniter to see if it heats up (gets red) but can I only do that if I take the drum out also, or somehow disconnect the motor so the drum doesn't spin? (because the front panel supports the drum which I have temporarily supported with a block of wood.)

Old 11-20-02, 06:39 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

**I've read about looking at the igniter to see if it heats up (gets red) but can I only do that if I take the drum out**

That is a good plan! Some dryer have a belt breakswitch, so when the belt is disconnected so the drum can come out, the motor may not run....need to jury rig or bypass the belt break switch if used on your dryer.

**(model No. 77832795?)**

That is part of the model#....Kenmore model#'s are like 123.45678910

Some gas dryer helps and things to check for can be found on page below....

http://www.applianceaid.com/gas_dryer.html

It is always a good idea to clean/check venting and vent hood with ANY dryer problem

jeff.

Old 11-20-02, 08:54 PM
tgg
Visiting Guest
Since these are gas appliances is there a pilot light on these dryers?

Old 11-21-02, 03:52 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Howdy,

**Since these are gas appliances is there a pilot light on these dryers?**

You would have to go back 30 years to find a dryer with a pilot light....@ 4-5 years old, yours will have the glow coil hot surface ignitor in it.

jeff.

Old 11-24-02, 01:11 AM
nyymm
Visiting Guest
Dryer No heat problem solved

Well Jeff, I learned a simple electronics lesson that had I known before it would have saved me a couple of hours of taking the dryer apart. The lesson was don't try to check a component for continuity with an ohm meter while it is still attached to the dryer! After checking the thermal fuse this way and getting a false "good" reading I then went through the effort of taking the front of the dryer off, and taking apart the heating mechanism (coils, sensor, ignitor, etc.) only to find them also working. I then took the belt just off of the motor spindle (so I wouldn't have to remove the drum) powered up the dryer and found that no power was going to the ignitor. This lead me back to the thermal fuse and this time I removed it from the back of the dryer to check it, and guess what, it wasn't good. I replaced it and the dryer works fine. I guess the benefit here is that I now know how to take apart most of the dryer if I ever need to work on it again!

Old 11-24-02, 05:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: nyymm

Thanks for taking your time and posting a well written detailed explanation of the final results to the problem with the dryer. In doing so, every reader of the topic learns from it. Which is what my forum topic and this web site is all about. Helping each other.

Regards and Thanks. Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-24-02, 10:54 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thankx for the update!!

jeff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: