Odd odor gas stove

Old 11-25-02, 03:49 PM
louisa
Visiting Guest
Odd odor gas stove

For the past 2-3 days when I turn on my Kenmore gas stove there is an unusual odor - very similar to that of a cigarette lighter. Any thoughts on what might be causing this butane-like smell, it's both on the stovetop and in the oven. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-25-02, 04:21 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello louisa and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

The odor comes from burning invisable particles of a recently used oil based product. There may be a smell of petrolium in the house. Like or similar to a fresh coat of paint , etc.

Could be any one of many petro products. Varnishes, stains, adhesives, cleaners, glues and or oil based paint, etc. If any of these type of products were used recently, until the product fully dries or cures, the odor will remain.

The smell is not hazardous. It will disapate as soon as the oli based product dries or cures. Airing out the house or area will help to resolve the problem.

Clothes dryers, both gas and electric will do the same thing. Create a diesel oil or butane-like smell that will be noticed in dried clothes, especially towels and thick cloth like materials.

If this happens, simply turn the temperature selection control to "Air Dry" and allow the cycle to run for 10 to 15 minutes to purge out the smell. Be sure to return the temp selector back to the prior selection when done.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.Gas Appliances Forum Moderator Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-26-02, 05:01 AM
louisa
Visiting Guest
Thanks very much for your reply. I did indeed smell the same odor inside my electric dryer later that night and was really beginning to wonder...Your response is helpful and appreciated.

Old 11-26-02, 07:47 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
smell

just wanted to add another thing to all the posts , i had a vent less heater in work shop , they did,nt tell me it was a no , no , these darn thiing are bad for the lungs when sanding , painting , glueing , and many other things , so stop and think befor you buy a ventless wall heater , they reburn anything that is air born

Old 11-27-02, 12:57 PM
louisa
Visiting Guest
odd odor gas stove

Good point, Almost. Your last comment is powerful - we decided against a ventless heating option for our basement and now I am even more glad we did. Thanks.

Old 11-27-02, 02:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Louisa & Almost

You both make an excellent points and bring up a good topic. Ventless Heaters.

Great testaments to the fact that anyone who uses a ventless heater is taking a huge personal risk. Everyone should know the risks before making a purchase of a ventless heater.

As I find any questions posted pertaining to a ventless heater, in either the gas appliances or heating and cooling forums, I edit the subject line to clearly note the question. Ventless heaters are no exclusions.

If either of you notice a topic on a ventless heater or any ventless gas appliances and care to post a reply to that question with your personal opinion, known facts or personal experiences or know of some who can, your welcome to do so.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator
Tom_B

Old 11-28-02, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Ventless heaters

Personally they should stop producing ventless heaters over a certain BTU capacity (say 10,000 BTU)
It's the big heaters that are causing all the problems and the small heaters the manufactures are submitting for testing.
Anything over a certain BTU should be required to be vented.
What is worse a lot of lanlords are putting the large unvented heaters in rental property as the primary source of heat becuase it's so much cheaper than repairing/replacing the exising vented system.
As a secondary heating source I don't have a problem with a small heater in a florida room, but it shouldn't be the main source of heat for the home.
Also manufactures need to step up to the plate and make vented heaters more avalible and affordable.
They can make a vented water heater with a 34,000 BTU burner for $139.00, why not a vented space heater ??
Small to medium (under 20,000 BTU) vented space heaters are nearly impossible to find

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: